Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
713 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Jan 14, 2013 6:58 PM by cgrim RSS
ritch Newcomer 31 posts since
Feb 21, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 11, 2013 6:33 AM

CustomOSPrints MVM 7.5.1

Hi All

It appears that the Manage Custom OS prints feature has now been removed from the FCM as the product now allows you to assign the correct operating system to assets within the console.

I would be interested to know, however, what happens when the IP Address of the misidentified asset changes the the IP Address is re-used (DHCP etc.), does the custom OS follow the asset or stay with the IP Address?

Ritch

• Community Leader 479 posts since
    Nov 3, 2009
    1. Jan 11, 2013 11:50 AM (in response to ritch)
    Re: CustomOSPrints MVM 7.5.1

Hi Ritch,

From the 7.5.1 Release Notes:

Set OS identification using asset management

You can set the operating system for an asset on the Asset Management page.

1 Select Manage | Assets.

2 Right-click an asset, then select Properties. You can select multiple assets using the Ctrl or Shift buttons.

3 Select Change Operating System.

4 Type the operating system in the Operating System Name field.

5 Select the Operating System Category, then click Submit.

There's a lot more in the Release notes, but basically it's all covered thru Asset Management now.  The Release Notes also shows the various weights that are assigned to how the OS was identified.  Here's a link to the Release Notes:

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=PD24151

I hope that helps!
    Cathy

• Community Leader 479 posts since
    Nov 3, 2009
    3. Jan 14, 2013 6:58 PM (in response to ritch)
    Re: CustomOSPrints MVM 7.5.1

Hi Ritch,

Sorry... you're right, you asked:
    I would be interested to know, however, what happens when the IP Address of the misidentified asset changes the the IP Address is re-used (DHCP etc.), does the custom OS follow the asset or stay with the IP Address?

>>  In 7.5.1 the Operating System you set in the way I detailed above will stay with the Asset .

You also said:

With CustomOSprints if another similar asset came on the network MVM would identify it using the new signature, a facility that seems sadly to have been lost.

>>  You're right.  You lose that functionality in place of what we consider to be improved functionality.  The previous method was actually causing a lot OS Misidentification problems - scripts weren't being run against various targets etc. etc.  This new way, with the weighting etc. should be less error prone.

I hope that helps clear things up.

have a great day!
    Cathy

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points