2 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2013 4:42 PM by beheer

McAfee AntiVirus Plus - Firewall keeps deaktivating itself in XP

tomica

McAfee’sdone it again. After an update/upgrade (ha ha !!) with reboot in XP SP3, a click on theM-icon opened just a white screen. The MVT corrected some errors, but not this one. By sheer chance on the M website I stumbled across a headline…

“MultipleIssues resulting from a recent product upgrade causing high call volumes”

http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS101507

With TS101233 I got M working again, but then the realtime scanner started then immediately stopped. Luckily, “Your computeris at risk: Real-Time Scanning: Off“ TS100903 worked…and thank god my internet connectivity was not severed by McAfee’s bungled upgrade. Then I saw that the Firewall was deactivated. Every attempt to activate it results in it deactivating itself, regardless of the XP firewall setting, which I now have to use. Why haven’t subsequent updates cured this? McAfee hears about the problems and then expects the users to find solutions and correct its mistakes.

Some monthsago, after an update/upgrade with reboot I had to designate Excel.exe,Exporer.exe and Winword.exe as trustworthy to prevent false buffer overflow alerts in Vista

The Mfehidik warning in the Vista Event Manager still hasn’t been resolved.

Earth to McAfee!!! ....XP and Vista SP2 are not Beta versions; they have been around foryears, so why do these botch-ups keep happening. I pay about $60 p.a. for myMcAfee programmes. I’ll try Avira or Avast, at least they are free. Does McAfeecare?

I'm sending a copy of this to the executive management of McAfee in Germany.

• 1. Re: McAfee AntiVirus Plus - Firewall keeps deaktivating itself in XP
          Peter M

Well it isn't happening to everyone, that's the problem, why only certain setups?     Technical Support is probably better equipped than we are to troubleshoot this sort of thing.  I have McAfee's latest 12.1 sitting in XP Pro SP3, Vista Ult SP2, Win 7 Ult SP1 and Win 8 (last 3 all x64) quite happily doing its thing and no problems at all.

I have to ask, have you been running any Registry cleaners lately?   This sort of thing is often caused by that.   See if there's a restore function if so.

• 2. Re: McAfee AntiVirus Plus - Firewall keeps deaktivating itself in XP

Hi Tomica,

I had the same problem on two of my XP machines. I saw it first about 3 weeks ago.

It seemed the update from 11.6.443/15.6.238 did not go well to the newest 12.1 and 16.1.

Last weekend however a new update finally fixed both machines.

(We now have the Thunderbird-attachment-scan-problem, but at least the firewall is up again.)

I guess McAfee fixed their update process...

Good luck,

Beheer.