1 2 3 Previous Next 25 Replies Latest reply: Jan 20, 2013 11:19 AM by Ex_Brit RSS

What happened in the 01-09-13 update of McAfee A/V?

torchwood

I am running XP Pro, SP3 with McAfee AntiVirus Plus.  On January 9, 2013 an auto update completely ruined my A/V app. 

The interface changed -- there are no EXIT buttons to close any alerts, or the Home page or anything else in McAfee A/V.

The large horizontal window is gross.  Click on something, cannot get out of window.

Is this now the final answer to dumping XP suppot?  I will be cancelling my subscription if this is not supported. I was told that it was the fault of Internet Explorer, which is the only basis of McAfee.  Duh?

• 1. Re: What happened in the 01-09-13 update of McAfee A/V?
          Ex_Brit

They haven't dumped XP SP3 support but It went to a display that was compatible with touch screens and Windows 8 and requires a screen resolution of at least 1024 x 768.

What is your screen set at?

• 2. Re: What happened in the 01-09-13 update of McAfee A/V?
            torchwood

1280 x 800 screen res  (also dual core, if this means anything oin this context).

• 3. Re: What happened in the 01-09-13 update of McAfee A/V?
              Ex_Brit

Well the frame should fit within that screen therefore all the buttons should be showing....unless you have browser or Ease of Access settings to magnify the screen.  Otherwise you'll spend all your time panning from right to left, top to bottom and vice versa no matter what you are looking at.

It might be in your interest to contact Technical Support and have them link up and see what you are seeing and make suggestions.   It's free by phone or online chat and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

• 4. Re: What happened in the 01-09-13 update of McAfee A/V?
                torchwood

Thanks.  As I said previously, I tried Live Chat; Sumith told me it was the fault of my IE8.  Went to Microsoft, did a FIX IT which did not.  Of course they don't support IE8 anymore, so left between rock and hard place!

In addition, MAVP interface was very good before last update -- no change here in IE8.  So . . .

Message was edited by: torchwood on 1/10/13 11:23:34 AM CST
                • 5. Re: What happened in the 01-09-13 update of McAfee A/V?
                  Ex_Brit

In IE8 try checking the View button - Zoom at 100% and Text size medium?

Maybe try another browser?  Only suggestions.

• 6. Re: What happened in the 01-09-13 update of McAfee A/V?
                    torchwood

Yes.  I had done a RESET -- IE settings to original.

Just now checked Control Panel again -- last updates for IE * were in December -- before MAVP disaster.  HOWEVER, I DO see a new entry:  "Internet Explorer (Enable DEP)".  I don't know what this means -- I have done so many things to resolve my issue it may have been inserted along the line.  Shall I delete?  Not your area, I know.

I had been having problems with IE way back when IE 8 first installed.  Now have Chrome, and very happy with it.  IE mostly for auto updates now.  Unfortunately, McAfee is IE slave.

Thanks for the patient ear (or eye).

• 7. Re: What happened in the 01-09-13 update of McAfee A/V?
                      Ex_Brit

DEP is Data Execution Prevention and shouldn't have anything to do with this.

FYI we're getting a lot of complaints regarding the new larger interfsce and personally I wish they would move away from a fixed size one to an adjustable one or one that auto-downsizes for smaller screens perhaps.

Short of re-contacting Tech Support and asking foir an escalation, I can't think of anything else to suggest other than when I re-read your OP it says buttons were missing.

That could be a javascript corruption issue, so see the 'Blank' link in my signature beow and run at least the first option which may help here.

Also make sure Java is installed and updated,  Java and javascript are two different things.

By the way I assume you have the latest display software for whatever drives your graphics installed?

• 8. Re: What happened in the 01-09-13 update of McAfee A/V?
                        torchwood

Once more into the breach. Thanks for definition.  Will check Wikipedia further.  Yes, I had deleted and then downloaded new Java.  Have done so many reboots am dizzy with waiting.  Nothing helps so far.

It is the lack of button controls that bugs me the most. Blindly feeling around for a hand cursor to appear to be tapped is not acceptable.

Problem is no change before this  MAVP update so no other solution.

Thanks again.

• 9. Re: What happened in the 01-09-13 update of McAfee A/V?
                          Ex_Brit

That's just it, there should be at least an OK button.   Do you want me to ask a support person to chip in here on this thread?  If so could you post the last service request ID number for reference purposes?

1 2 3 Previous Next