Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
5917 Views 16 Replies Latest reply: Feb 18, 2013 7:36 PM by Peacekeeper RSS 1 2 Previous Next
mdmayes4 Newcomer 8 posts since
Jan 8, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 9, 2013 9:36 PM

Firewall On - but is really turned Off

Hi All,

I can see this is a problem for many - and by the look of it the ony "solution" is to ring support.  I rang today (ref1007931565) as my system was very slow and would not open any IE windows (this morning I didnt realise that the Firewall was Off).

The person was very helpful - though the solution he gave me (among many others which didnt work) was to run google chrome!  I have uninstalled, run MCPR and re-installed - but my firewall services still dont run.

Well I can  now get out the sites and surf the web and my system is a lot faster - but I do notice the following errors when I ran MTV Health check

Product Name      : VirusScan - McAfee Total Protection Product Version      :      16.1.144

Service 2 service(s) incorrect Expected Service State Incorrect

Expected : running

Existing : stopped

Service : McNaiAnn "C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\Platform\McSvcHost\McSvHost.exe" /McCoreSvc Expected Service State Incorrect

Service : mfecore C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\AMCore\mcshield.exe

Product Name      : QuickClean and Shredder - McAfee Total Protection Product Version      :      12.1.120

Process 1 process(s) incorrect Expected process not running

Existing : not running

C:\Program Files\mcafee\msc\mcapexe.exe Expected process running

C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\Platform\mcsvchost\mcsvhost.exe

Expected process running

C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\Platform\mcuicnt.exe

Product Name      : SecurityCenter Product Version      :      12.1.253

1 service(s) incorrect Expected Service State Incorrect

Service : McAfee SiteAdvisor Service c:\PROGRA~2\mcafee\SITEAD~1\mcsacore.exe Expected Service Present

Service : McAfee SiteAdvisor Service c:\PROGRA~2\mcafee\SITEAD~1\mcsacore.exe      Expected Service Startup type Correct

Service : McAfee SiteAdvisor Service c:\PROGRA~2\mcafee\SITEAD~1\mcsacore.exe

Product Name      : AntiSpam - McAfee Total Protection Product Version      :      13.1.115

Service 1 service(s) incorrect Expected Service State Incorrect

Service : MSK80Service "C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\Platform\McSvcHost\McSvHost.exe" /McCoreSvc Expected Service Present

Service : MSK80Service "C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\Platform\McSvcHost\McSvHost.exe" /McCoreSvc      Expected Service Startup type Correct

Service : MSK80Service "C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\Platform\McSvcHost\McSvHost.exe" /McCoreSvc

Any suggestions?  I am worried that I am not secure!  And yes - for me this all started Dec 12 with a new mcafee update!  Otherwise I have been happily running since July 2012 - when I bought this new laptop with Win 7.

Hope someone can shed some light - very disappointing the mcafee are not rushing out a fix.

Deb

• Ex_Brit Volunteer Moderator 59,530 posts since
    May 6, 2004
    1. Jan 10, 2013 6:03 AM (in response to mdmayes4)
    Re: Firewall On - but is really turned Off

Is this Windows 7 SP1 and are you totally up to date including Internet Explorer 9 whether or not you use it (McAfee does)? 

Do you have any other security software installed?

Have you been running any registry cleaners lately?   (Guaranteed to destroy your system eventually).

Is your system clock accurate - can cause problems if not.

Did support suggest completely uninstalling via Control Panel, then running MCPR cleanup tool, listed under Useful Links at the top of this page, rebooting and then reinstalling from your online account?

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 10/01/13 7:03:35 EST AM

https://community.mcafee.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-143933-5189/78-49/Peter.gif
    Toronto • Canada
    Volunteer Moderator
    I can't help you privately - please post in the Forums
    Use Advanced Forum Search To Find Answers
    Beta Test McAfee Products For PC & MAC
    How To Fix File Associations in Windows
    XP & Office 2003 End-Of-Life - 08 April, 2014
    Anti-Spyware/Malware & Hijacker Tools
    May 6, 2004
    3. Jan 10, 2013 8:35 AM (in response to mdmayes4)

The only compatibility problem would be with other software, never the OS.  When you got rid of Avast did you use whatever removal tool they may provide?

As long as you know what you're doing with CCleaner it should be OK, but many people just let registry cleaners do their default cleaning and don't realize that often vital registry keys get tossed out along with the garbage.  It's like tossing out that old armchair, the trouble is Granny is still sitting in it but you do it anyway.   What registry cleaners consider garbage is usually not the case and malfunctions ensue.  The only time I've ever used CCleaner is to remove a specific piece of software.  I learned years ago the hard way to never, ever clean the registry unless I was trying to remove remnants of a particular program and then do it manually.

Having Windows Firewall on should be impossible in Windows 7 if McAfee was installed correctly and it certainly should not be on at the same time as McAfee Personal Firewall as problems could surface pretty quickly.   That suggests to me that Windows may be corrupted somehow.

Assuming you are logged in as a user with Admin privileges try the following:   Go to Start and in the Search box type cmd, when it appears above right-click it and select 'Run as Administrator' (that means as the hidden Adminstrator user name not your status).

In the Command Prompt window type sfc /scannow (with the space) and click the Enter key.

It will object and say something like can't proceed because the volume is in use, try at next reboot Y/N?   Type Y and hit that Enter key again.

Reboot and let it do its thing and hope that cures the situation.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 10/01/13 9:35:49 EST AM

https://community.mcafee.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-143933-5189/78-49/Peter.gif
    Toronto • Canada
    Volunteer Moderator
    May 6, 2004
    4. Jan 10, 2013 8:37 AM (in response to Ex_Brit)

By the way there's more information on SFC (System File Check) here:  http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1538-sfc-scannow-command-system-file-checke r.html

Toronto • Canada
    Volunteer Moderator
    May 6, 2004
    5. Jan 10, 2013 8:42 AM (in response to Ex_Brit)

Sorry to keep posting.  Today I'm having a bad time seeing/reading properly due to a migraine.  Your original post doesn't seem to mention McAfee Firewall at all, it is installed and does SecurityCenter say anything about it?

Toronto • Canada
    Volunteer Moderator
    May 6, 2004
    7. Jan 11, 2013 9:23 AM (in response to mdmayes4)

It looks like it did it's job, judging by that last line.  The rest might as well be in Sanskrit as far as I'm concerned I'm afraid.   Those sort of things are more for expert forums.   Is McAfee SecurityCenter protecting and does it show a Firewall under Web and Email Protection or  'About'?

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 11/01/13 10:23:09 EST AM

Toronto • Canada
    Volunteer Moderator
    May 6, 2004
    9. Jan 11, 2013 9:26 AM (in response to mdmayes4)

You can't paste images here, but you can post images saved to your desktop by using the camera symbol at the top of the new message window.

But no need I think I know what you mean.

I would ask Technical Support to escalate this then as I'm out of ideas.

Toronto • Canada
    Volunteer Moderator
1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)