7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2013 4:19 PM by Peacekeeper

Virus Scan 12.1 hangs Windows XP after update

Viirus Scan is hanging Windows XP requiring a power off.  This began happening after an automatic update today.  The McAfee versions are:

Security Center 12.1

AntiVirus 16.1

Firewall 31.1

SiteAdvisor 3.6

The only way I have found to keep it from crashing is to turn off the McAfee Windows services and mcagent startup.  Then I can get into Windows and access McAfee Virus Scan UI.  If I do NOT turn them off, Windows hangs within a few minutes after the desktop finishes loading.

In the UI I can turn on everything except Virus Scan.  It will NOT turn on.  The Virtual Support Technician reports no errors, except when I have the services off.  Then it wants to turn them on.

Here is what I have done so far:

Uninstalled all McAfee software.

Downloaded the latest purge (MCPR.exe) and purged the product remainders.

Restarted Windows.

Ran a registry cleaner several times to ensure it was clean.

Installed the latest software updates from Microsoft.

Restarted Windows.

Ran the registry cleaner again.

Downloaded and installed the latest McAfee Virus Scan software.

Restarted Windows.

Windows hung shortly after the desktop loaded.

Restarted Windows in Safe Mode and disabled the McAfee services with msconfig.

Restarted Windows and had NO problems.

Re-enabled the services except for Site Advisor and Firewall.

Restarted Windows.

Reviewed the Windows services and saw Fiewwall was running, even though the check box was unchecked.  Site Services was not running.

Tried to start Virus scan but that action failed with no error message.  Just said it couldnt do it.

Using msconfig turned the services back on and restarted Windows.

Windows hung shortly after the desktop loaded.

I did some other things too, but that is the gist of it.  nothing I have tried has worked.  I can get everything working EXCEPT for Virus Scan.  It either will not start from the UI, and when the services are on, Windows XP hangs

Any suggestions?

• 1. Re: Virus Scan 12.1 hangs Windows XP after update

I'm also having problems with XP after the lastest update. McAfee keeps telling me I don't have the latest update but it is the latest update which is causing the problem. I can manually update, watch the update download and install, then I get the same message again.

Also Site Advisor on IE is continuously grey.

I've restarted Windows several times but nothing changes.

Help!

• 2. Re: Virus Scan 12.1 hangs Windows XP after update

Additional information:  Stinger.exe finds no problems.  Even with virus scan disabled, Windows still hangs occasionaly. I suspect it is the site management utility.  I have removed McAfee software for now.

• 3. Re: Virus Scan 12.1 hangs Windows XP after update
              Peacekeeper

For both of you call support they need to know these issues are happening. I found several reinstalls necessary if Real time scanner or firewall show as acting up. The techs are aware of issues at least we told them so see what happens

• 4. Re: Virus Scan 12.1 hangs Windows XP after update

Turns out the problem was an entry in the Windows hosts file.  The entry appeared to point to a printer on my network, but I never did verify that.  Removing the extra entry corrected the problem.

• 6. Re: Virus Scan 12.1 hangs Windows XP after update

Hi all - I have fol almost exact same experience as mikehedblom; have verified all Win Updts are done, multiscanned with WIN SFC, Win Defender, Spybot, MVT.exe, MCAf Antivirus (when it works, in a System Restore(d) scenario), HD error check etc etc. Did full uninstall of McAfee AV as per McAfee instructions, with use of Windows Cntr Panel  and MCPR.exe. Entire system then appears fine and works perfectly right up until I try to the 'Software Upgrade' to 12.1 and 16.1. Every reinstall causes WinXP to stall halfway through boot, to a black screen. Can only boot in Safe Mode or via Restore - then back to square 1- then McAfee wants to 'Update' itself, I clean it all out, re-do and re-crash. Been doing this for about 10 days - hoping McAfee will fix their software. (ps -have run three XP PCs concurrently  with Mcafee, Win defender, Spybot and Zone Alarm all working happily together for about the last 6 years, so do not suspect a conflict has suddenly arisen there -also see may last paragraph re my other XP is still working fine, after the Update; so ????)

So - here is my question: If the mikehedblom comment: " Turns out the problem was an entry in the Windows hosts file.  The entry appeared to point to a printer on my network, but I never did verify that.  Removing the extra entry corrected the problem"

is indeed the correct answer, could someone possibly amplify it a bit - I dont know how to identify what might be an incorrect Win Host file, or differentiate it from from all other host files that might be running.

Additional puzzler - I have two Dells, both have same fully updated WIN XP config and very similar overall software and hardware config, only differing in age and model type - the older one updated McAfee without a gitch - the newer one is described above : unuseable after Mcafee Update. Also have an almost new WIN7 laptop that updated to the same v12.1 and v16.1 without a snag

regards to all - and hoping to hear a solution...

• 7. Re: Virus Scan 12.1 hangs Windows XP after update
                    Peacekeeper

Hosts file should look like

Copyright (c) 1993-1999 Microsoft Corp.
                    #
                    # This is a sample HOSTS file used by Microsoft TCP/IP for Windows.
                    #
                    # This file contains the mappings of IP addresses to host names. Each
                    # entry should be kept on an individual line. The IP address should
                    # be placed in the first column followed by the corresponding host name.
                    # The IP address and the host name should be separated by at least one
                    # space.
                    #
                    # Additionally, comments (such as these) may be inserted on individual
                    # lines or following the machine name denoted by a '#' symbol.
                    #
                    # For example:
                    #
                    #      102.54.94.97     rhino.acme.com          # source server
                    #       38.25.63.10     x.acme.com              # x client host

127.0.0.1       localhost

ie no other IP addresses

Re the snag PC best to call support and have them check your PC out. Explain to them what you have done and you have done all bar 1 thing which might help.

Run

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/Mcpreinstall.exe

after uninstalling Mcafee

If that does not help call support and escalate the call if they cannot help.