8 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2013 9:49 AM by foliveir

EEPC 7.0, EETech and UEFI Boot

SeanKeeley

Getting ready to begin testing EEPC 7.0 and, in reviewing the EETech User Guide, I'm somewhat confused about which version of EETech PE will be required. I understand that machines with UEFI boot require different recovery tools from older systems, but it's not clear to me in which environments UEFI boot will be used (or not) and which recovery tool(s) will be necessary.

Question 1: Is UEFI Boot only a WIndows 8 feature, or does Windows 7 use UEFI boot, and, if so, in what circumstances?

Question 2: For systems that are not using UEFI boot, can EETech+BartPE be used for all recoveries (ignoring standalone) or is EETech+WinPE 3.x required for some systems (e.g. Windows 7 64 bit)?

Question 3: EETech UEFI is indicated as requiring WinPE 4 but there is no further documentation about creating it -- Is a Windows 8 machine required to create an EETech UEFI recovery disk and where is the method to do this documented?

• 1. Re: EEPC 7.0, EETech and UEFI Boot
          1. UEFI is supported on x64 versions of Windows Vista SP1, 7 and 8.  I don't think x86 supports UEFI, but I believe people have gotten it to work.
          2. You can configure a bootable CD or thumb drive to support both BIOS and UEFI.
          3. Download Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (ADK) for Windows® 8 to make PE v4

on 1/15/13 1:14:57 PM CST
          • 2. Re: EEPC 7.0, EETech and UEFI Boot
            SeanKeeley

Thanks for the reply. Could you please clarify your answers:

1. When you say "supported", does this imply it will be used by default on UEFI hardware, or does it have to be enabled in the firmware in some way?
            2. Since the McAfee documentation indicates that different versions of EETech are required for BIOS and UEFI machines, are you talking about including both versions on the CD?
            3. Will the Windows 8 ADK install and run on Windows 7?
            • 3. Re: EEPC 7.0, EETech and UEFI Boot

Reposonse to #1

x64 versions Windows Vista SP1, 7 and 8 support both BIOS and UEFI.  You can use either, meaning I can set my machine's harware to either BIOS or UEFI and install Windows or run PE.  ADK has a script to make bootable discs, it will make the PE UEFI and BIOS if you bauild a x64 version of PE.

Reposnse to #2

Question 2: For systems that are not using UEFI boot, can EETech+BartPE be used for all recoveries (ignoring standalone) or is EETech+WinPE 3.x required for some systems (e.g. Windows 7 64 bit)?
              Since the McAfee documentation indicates that different versions of EETech are required for BIOS and UEFI machines, are you talking about including both versions on the CD?

PE v4 x64 can only run x64 applications.  You cannot use 32-bit application or driver file.  You will need the x64 version of EETech, drivers, etc..  x86 PE only supports BIOS I believe.

As far as I know, EETech is just an application and shouldn't care if you booted via BIOS or UEFI.  You're going to need someone else to answer that.  I've never built an x64 PE EETech image, so I have no experince with that.

Response to #3

ADK should install just fine on a Windows 7 system.  You really only need the "Windows ADK"

Message was edited by: robojerk on 1/15/13 3:22:35 PM CST
              • 4. Re: EEPC 7.0, EETech and UEFI Boot

1. You could use W7 in UEFI mode - it would be the decision of whoever installed the OS, it's unlikely though. Win8 is the reverse - it is most likely to be in UEFI mode, unless it was installed on an older machine without UEFI support.

2. yes - There's no need to use a 64bit CD to recover a 64bit OS - nothing on the host machine is used, so mostly a simple PE3/BartPE 32bit CD works for everything..

3. Yes, it is. I'll query this.

• 5. Re: EEPC 7.0, EETech and UEFI Boot

Could you please confirm - should PE3/BartPE 32bit CD be able to recover x86, x64 and x64 UEFI enabled Windows 7 systems?

• 6. Re: EEPC 7.0, EETech and UEFI Boot

No. You need to use pe4 for uEFI machines according to Microsoft.

• 7. Re: EEPC 7.0, EETech and UEFI Boot

Is there a McAfee procedure about preparing the needed PE4 boot cd for UEFI machines?