1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply: Jan 28, 2013 9:54 AM by resourcegroup RSS

Groupshield ignoring Quarantine manager blacklists

resourcegroup

I am currently testing out a deployment of MQM alongside Groupshield. Whilst I have managed to get the two systems to communicate, and allow end users to manage their own Spam, I have been unableto get users to create a black or white list, and have these work witghin Groupshield. Are there aditional configuration option which need to be made in order for these two tools to communicate, or is this something which has been encountered before?

I am currently using Groupshield 7.0.1406.110 SP2, with Hotfixes GSE7SP2Rollup2;Patch1;HF726815;HF722781

Quarantine manager is running 7.0.1266.100 with no hotfixes

• 1. Re: Groupshield ignoring Quarantine manager blacklists
          resourcegroup

To update, I have now tested this with both 7.0.2 and 7.6, and have managed to trigger whitelist events, butI still cannot get my Blacklist to override the mail server

• 2. Re: Groupshield ignoring Quarantine manager blacklists
            Aidan

In MQM there are two set ups for B\W Lists - User and Global

Users should be able to login to the UI - are they using their primary smtp addresses or aliases for this??

You can check this in Admin UI - End User Management - Account Management. and you can add/remove items from there also)

Once these are set up correctly in MQM then they should be transferred to the connected product (GSE or MSME) - check MQM  product log for errors or success "pushing configuration to point product".

If this shows successful - then check the GSE\MSME on the Hub Transport or Edge machine (doing spam scanning) - <gse\msme install folder>\bin.

There should be two new files in there -

- MQMAdmin.xml containing the Global B\W Lists

- MQMUsers.xml containing the Users BW \Lists

(can be opened in notepad)

These will be read by the GSE\MSME AntiSpam system.

(These will not be visible in the GSE\MSME interface - only items configure in local BW Lists (or ePO configuration) will be vible in interface. 

Is this all happening correctly??

• 3. Re: Groupshield ignoring Quarantine manager blacklists
              resourcegroup

Hi Aiden

This file is not in the MQM bin folder, though it is located in, and populated correctly in the MSME folder. This is using a users primary address rather than an Alias. I had limited success mwith the Global lists, but these do not accomplish what the project has in mind at this time.

The MQM folder does, however, have a Global/User BWList; Is this related, or am i drawing the wrong conclusions

• 4. Re: Groupshield ignoring Quarantine manager blacklists
                Aidan

Not same files no - the xmls on the MSME machine are read by MSME - as long as there they should be used.

If the MQMAdmin and MQMUser xmls are deleted on the MSME side and the service restarted - one comms happens again between mqm and msme machines - do the files get re-created??

You don't happen to have both products on the one machine - do you???  This is not supported and could be problematic.

• 5. Re: Groupshield ignoring Quarantine manager blacklists
                  resourcegroup

I'll test, but just wanted to update to say that no, they are both on separate machines, as I read that this was not a preferable set up

• 6. Re: Groupshield ignoring Quarantine manager blacklists
                    resourcegroup

Hi Aiden

Apologies for the lack of updates the past week, i have been working on a project which has demanded my attention be taken away from this. This does not get rebuilt after a service restart, although I do have reason to believe the file is being recreated eventually as the file was there.

I have been receiving support from our Mcafee partner in this, and they have provided me with a list of required VSE exceptions, but upon applying these, I appear to have broken my VSE policies as i now do not have the default exclusions or the added exclusions, so I need to play with this to get it working properly

• 7. Re: Groupshield ignoring Quarantine manager blacklists
                      Aidan

No worries.

The details sent to the MSME on the MQM B\W Lists - will be done on MQM-MSME Communication - you'll probably see in MQM Product log something like "Successfully sent configuration to <attached product>" which may correspond to file appearing on MSME machine. (communication period options are in MQM)

Also I may have missed a point - and wonder can you clarifiy   - you stated :-

"but I still cannot get my Blacklist to override the mail server"

Do you have Exchange settings to allow domains or ip addresses via Transport settings, Microsoft Transport Agent Configurations or another Spam solution and then want "override" this via Blacklist MSME\MQM combo??

OR

Do you have a whitelist in MSME config (locally or from ePO) that you want to override with a Blacklist from MQM??

• 8. Re: Groupshield ignoring Quarantine manager blacklists
                        resourcegroup

Hi Aiden

Apologies; To Clarify, I'm testing with the GTUBE spam test, and a whitelist, with the intention being that the message should pass the filter, even though it would normally be classified as Spam

Obviously, with the blacklist, I'm trying to get items which are clearly not spam filtered              

Message was edited by: resourcegroup on 1/22/13 5:40:26 AM CST
                        • 9. Re: Groupshield ignoring Quarantine manager blacklists
                          Aidan

Question - if you add same items to Black\White lists via AntiSpam config directly in MSME (or from ePO) do they work??

Maybe would tell if issue is actually a scanning or scanning configuration issue rather than a issue between MQM\MSME.

1 2 Previous Next