3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 8, 2013 10:33 AM by Peter M Branched from an earlier discussion. Branched to a new discussion.

General gripes

Hi baltbullet1,

> How much more could they screw it up?

Heh, heh.  Well, apparently, by a lot.

On my system, the quarantined items are NOT displayed in both the Quarantined Items and Quarantined Potentially Unwanted Programs dialog boxes (and, I fear, may have been deleted altogether).  To round out the strange behaviour, the Trusted Items of the last several years are prominently displayed, complete with a working Remove From Trusted List button.

Perhaps even more annoying, under Startup Settings, there is no option to completely turn off a startup scan.  The best that is available is an option to "Check for the most common threats during startup, for a fast startup time."  In the case of my system, "a fast startup time" means 7 minutes during which version 12.1 consumes virtually all of the available resources, and leaves me to twiddle my thumbs when all that I am really wanting to do is to get my mail.

And I don’t doubt that this is just the tip of the iceberg.

Where, oh where, does McAfee get its program developers?

• 1. Re: General gripes

I suggest you to reinstall the product asap. McAfee is showwing certain issues in your case. If you do suspect a virus, I suggest you to run stinger in safe mode and then do an installation. And regarding the McAfee icon issue, the techs are working on it. It is currently in the ddeveloping phase. Once it is out for test I will let u ppl know.

Message was edited by: r.g on 1/5/13 8:11:46 PM CST

Message was edited by: Hayton to amend subject header on 07/01/13 01:28:38 GMT
          • 2. Re: General gripes

Hi r.g,

> I fyou do suspect a virus, I suggest you to run stinger in safe mode
            > and then do an installation.

Thanks for the comment, but I do not suspect a virus, and would be fairly certain that my system does not have one (FWIW, despite its faults, version 12.1 seems to catch any malware that might come its way).

As is perhaps evident, the issues that I and others have described are design, programming, and testing issues (perhaps more as these relate to Windows XP).  McAfee seems to have fallen down with respect to these.

Message was edited by: Hayton to amend subject header on 07/01/13 01:29:07 GMT
            • 3. Re: General gripes
              Peter M

r.g wrote:

...... And regarding the McAfee icon issue, the techs are working on it. It is currently in the ddeveloping phase. Once it is out for test I will let u ppl know.

r.g where did you get that information from?