Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
2056 Views 9 Replies Latest reply: Jan 12, 2013 12:18 PM by serio1 RSS
serio1 Newcomer 5 posts since
Jan 5, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 5, 2013 6:35 PM

Sudden interruption of the McMPFSvc service

As ca be seen from the following extracted information from MVTHealthCheck.html report (got from McAfee Virtual technician) the service McMPFSvc is, surprisingly, NOT running. (it runs under Windows 7, 64 bit)

Only it, among all, is not running and this represents the unique error of the scan.

Here follows the relevant extract from the long write of Virtual Technician:

-------------------------    

Process OK

Service 1 service(s) incorrect

Expected Service State Incorrect

Expected : running

Existing : stopped

Service : McMPFSvc "C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\McSvcHost\McSvHost.exe" /McCoreSvc

Expected Service Present

Service : McMPFSvc "C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\McSvcHost\McSvHost.exe" /McCoreSvc

Expected Service Startup type Correct

---------------------------------

I suppose that this bug is the cause of the alert "Computer at risk ... firewall disabled ...." I'm continuously getting. When I enable the firewall, it goes ON for a while but comes back to the bad alert "Computer at risk ..." I have no idea about how fix this problem. Any help? Thank you in advance,

Sergio

Ps. I attach the html file of the virt tech report, as reference.

Attachments:
  • Peacekeeper Volunteer Moderator 21,338 posts since
    Nov 23, 2002
    1. Jan 6, 2013 3:12 AM (in response to serio1)
    Re: Sudden interruption of the McMPFSvc service

First check that under services in start run services.msc that the windows firewall is status/started and startup type automatic.

I assume no other AV or firewall installed and have you contacted tech support and see what they say? If no help ask for an escalation call back.

Tony
    Volunteer Moderator
    Mcafee Total Protection 7.0 beta, Windows 8 64bit
    No Unrequested PMs please
    Do you have an idea for improving McAfee products? Please share it in the new Ideas community space!  NOTE: You must register an account first.

• Peacekeeper Volunteer Moderator 21,338 posts since
    Nov 23, 2002
    3. Jan 6, 2013 2:32 PM (in response to serio1)

Actually this came from a tech in a post from here. I too was of that opinion but seems Mcafee firewall piggybacks on windows firewall for some services. The windows firewall is still shown as off.  Of course this was with 12.1 on win 7 so checking on this XP test box (12.1 also) Yes same as i said started and auto.

What version are you running? Best to call support and see what they can see if you have 12.1 then something is wrong you should have that service. I have not got any 11.6 installs to confirm it also needs the setting

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 7/01/13 6:32:42 AM

Tony
    Volunteer Moderator
    Mcafee Total Protection 7.0 beta, Windows 8 64bit
    No Unrequested PMs please
    Do you have an idea for improving McAfee products? Please share it in the new Ideas community space!  NOTE: You must register an account first.

• Ex_Brit Volunteer Moderator 59,536 posts since
    May 6, 2004
    5. Jan 6, 2013 11:26 AM (in response to serio1)

A few questions, is this a fully updated Windows 7 SP1 and do you have IE9 installed?  (The McAfee UI utllizes IE regardless of default browser settings).

Secondly have you run any registry cleaners lately?  I ask because this is typical of what they end up causing.  If you have try restoring what they removed because that Windows Firewall Service (the Service not the actual firewall) should always be Started and Automatic in services.msc.

Thirdly, you could try repairing 7 by going to Start and type cmd in the search field.  When cmd appears above right-click it and select 'Run as Administrator'.

In the Command Prompt window type in sfc /scannow (with the space) and hit the Enter key.  OK any prkmptds and let it continue.

If it says cannot continue due to volume in use, start at next reboot Y/N? (or words to that effect) type in Y and hit the Enter key.

Reboot and let it run its course.  Here's a tutorial on this if you need it:  http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1538-sfc-scannow-command-system-file-checke r.html

If that doesn't help...I would tackle support again because I'm pretty sure that McAfee didn't create any problems.  I have McAfee installed on XP Pro SP3 x86, Vista Ult SP2 x64, Windows 7 Ult SP1 x64 and Windows 8 Pro w/MC x64 and none of them have any issues whatsoever and all are running the latest version.

https://community.mcafee.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-143933-5189/78-49/Peter.gif
    Toronto • Canada
    Volunteer Moderator
    I can't help you privately - please post in the Forums
    Use Advanced Forum Search To Find Answers
    Beta Test McAfee Products For PC & MAC
    How To Fix File Associations in Windows
    XP & Office 2003 End-Of-Life - 08 April, 2014
    Anti-Spyware/Malware & Hijacker Tools
  • Ex_Brit Volunteer Moderator 59,536 posts since
    May 6, 2004
    7. Jan 6, 2013 12:38 PM (in response to serio1)
    I'm waiting for a call from support, :-)

That is good.  Good luck ;-)

https://community.mcafee.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-143933-5189/78-49/Peter.gif
    Toronto • Canada
    Volunteer Moderator
    I can't help you privately - please post in the Forums
    Use Advanced Forum Search To Find Answers
    Beta Test McAfee Products For PC & MAC
    How To Fix File Associations in Windows
    XP & Office 2003 End-Of-Life - 08 April, 2014
    Anti-Spyware/Malware & Hijacker Tools
  • mdmayes4 Newcomer 8 posts since
    Jan 8, 2013
    8. Jan 10, 2013 8:18 AM (in response to Ex_Brit)

Hi Serio1,

Did you get that call fro support?  Are you fixed.  You seem to have similar problems as me (and I know there are many more).

Regards

D

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points