9 Replies Latest reply: Jan 12, 2013 12:18 PM by serio1 RSS

Sudden interruption of the McMPFSvc service

serio1

As ca be seen from the following extracted information from MVTHealthCheck.html report (got from McAfee Virtual technician) the service McMPFSvc is, surprisingly, NOT running. (it runs under Windows 7, 64 bit)

Only it, among all, is not running and this represents the unique error of the scan.

Here follows the relevant extract from the long write of Virtual Technician:

-------------------------    

Process OK

Service 1 service(s) incorrect

Expected Service State Incorrect

Expected : running

Existing : stopped

Service : McMPFSvc "C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\McSvcHost\McSvHost.exe" /McCoreSvc

Expected Service Present

Service : McMPFSvc "C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\McSvcHost\McSvHost.exe" /McCoreSvc

Expected Service Startup type Correct

---------------------------------

I suppose that this bug is the cause of the alert "Computer at risk ... firewall disabled ...." I'm continuously getting. When I enable the firewall, it goes ON for a while but comes back to the bad alert "Computer at risk ..." I have no idea about how fix this problem. Any help? Thank you in advance,

Sergio

Ps. I attach the html file of the virt tech report, as reference.

• 1. Re: Sudden interruption of the McMPFSvc service
          Peacekeeper

First check that under services in start run services.msc that the windows firewall is status/started and startup type automatic.

I assume no other AV or firewall installed and have you contacted tech support and see what they say? If no help ask for an escalation call back.

• 2. Re: Sudden interruption of the McMPFSvc service
            serio1

Thank you for replying. You say: "check that under services in start run services.msc that the windows firewall is status/started and startup type automatic", but the usual condition shouldn't be "ONLY 1 FIREWALL ACTIVE?" I have already the McAfee firewall activated. Anyway, I checked the presence of a windows firewall with services.msc and there is no "windows firewall" in the list. Taking into account your quoted suggestion, I'm not able to introduce windows firewall among active services.

Thanks a lot for help,

Sergio

Messaggio modificato da serio1 on 06/01/13 5.30.53 CST
            • 3. Re: Sudden interruption of the McMPFSvc service
              Peacekeeper

Actually this came from a tech in a post from here. I too was of that opinion but seems Mcafee firewall piggybacks on windows firewall for some services. The windows firewall is still shown as off.  Of course this was with 12.1 on win 7 so checking on this XP test box (12.1 also) Yes same as i said started and auto.

What version are you running? Best to call support and see what they can see if you have 12.1 then something is wrong you should have that service. I have not got any 11.6 installs to confirm it also needs the setting

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 7/01/13 6:32:42 AM
              • 4. Re: Sudden interruption of the McMPFSvc service
                serio1

I have McAfee Total Protection under windows 7 enterprise.

Meanwhile I had a chat with Mcafee support who was able to activate "windows firewall" but not to run it due to error 1068: The dependency or group failed to start,  :-( so nothing is fixed ... the service is in automatic state, but can't run.

Really it seems to me unbelievable that McAfee suddenly creates these problems, it did work fine since now ...

Sergio

• 5. Re: Sudden interruption of the McMPFSvc service
                  Ex_Brit

A few questions, is this a fully updated Windows 7 SP1 and do you have IE9 installed?  (The McAfee UI utllizes IE regardless of default browser settings).

Secondly have you run any registry cleaners lately?  I ask because this is typical of what they end up causing.  If you have try restoring what they removed because that Windows Firewall Service (the Service not the actual firewall) should always be Started and Automatic in services.msc.

Thirdly, you could try repairing 7 by going to Start and type cmd in the search field.  When cmd appears above right-click it and select 'Run as Administrator'.

In the Command Prompt window type in sfc /scannow (with the space) and hit the Enter key.  OK any prkmptds and let it continue.

If it says cannot continue due to volume in use, start at next reboot Y/N? (or words to that effect) type in Y and hit the Enter key.

Reboot and let it run its course.  Here's a tutorial on this if you need it:  http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1538-sfc-scannow-command-system-file-checke r.html

If that doesn't help...I would tackle support again because I'm pretty sure that McAfee didn't create any problems.  I have McAfee installed on XP Pro SP3 x86, Vista Ult SP2 x64, Windows 7 Ult SP1 x64 and Windows 8 Pro w/MC x64 and none of them have any issues whatsoever and all are running the latest version.

• 6. Re: Sudden interruption of the McMPFSvc service
                    serio1

Hi, thank you for help. I reply to your 3 points:

A few questions, is this a fully updated Windows 7 SP1 and do you have IE9 installed? 

Yes, W7 enterprise is fully updated and I'm working with IE9.

Secondly have you run any registry cleaners lately?

Yes, as other tens of times, with Ccleaner, but no positive effect after register restore. (However, I never got any drawback with previous uses of Ccleaner ....)

Thirdly, you could try repairing 7 by going to Start and type cmd in the search field.  When cmd appears above right-click it and select 'Run as Administrator'.

Done. No effect, unfortunately, after boot (and no violation found at the end of scan).

I'm waiting for a call from support, :-)

Cheers,

Sergio

• 7. Re: Sudden interruption of the McMPFSvc service
                      Ex_Brit
                      I'm waiting for a call from support, :-)

That is good.  Good luck ;-)

• 8. Re: Sudden interruption of the McMPFSvc service
                        mdmayes4

Hi Serio1,

Did you get that call fro support?  Are you fixed.  You seem to have similar problems as me (and I know there are many more).

Regards

D

• 9. Re: Sudden interruption of the McMPFSvc service
                          serio1

Hi mdmayes4,

yes I got a good chat support which fixed the bug. Unfortunately the day after I got another kind of red alert, related to "real time protection ..." not activated (despite cleaning PC and nothing found, anyway ...) so I did give up.

I decided to install another type of protection and removed McAfee from windows 7 enterprise PC. I have still McAfee total protection licence on two XP machines, however, with no trouble.

All the best,

Sergio