Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
2991 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Jan 30, 2013 6:38 PM by mjfichera RSS
mjfichera Newcomer 2 posts since
Jan 4, 2013
Currently Being Moderated

Jan 4, 2013 10:43 PM

Real Time Scanning drops off / corrupt DAT files

I'm using Security Center Ver 11.6 Build 11.6.443 on a Vista (Ultimate Edition) PC. Real Time Scanning keeps shutting Off.

Logged in as an administrator, I keep turning it back on but it's no use.  When I try to run a Quick Scan, it freezes at about 12% to 15% completed, and then says, "An Error Has Occurred - An unexpected problem occurred during your scan."

I ran Virtual Technician, which fixed 2 of the 4 problems. The log says:

Service: mcshield "C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\SystemCore\\mcshield.exe"

Top Issues: DetectRealTimeScanningOffIssue

In the MVTHealthCheck log:

1 Top Issue

Top Issue: DetectRealTimeScanningOffIssue

Top Issue: Corrupt DAT issue

Suggestions? Should I reinstall? I think the original file I installed was dated 2/13/2007 (sasetup.exe), and I've just been getting updates since then.

Thanks!

Mike

• Peacekeeper Volunteer Moderator 21,354 posts since
    Nov 23, 2002
    1. Jan 5, 2013 3:31 AM (in response to mjfichera)
    Re: Real Time Scanning drops off / corrupt DAT files

Yes use the US or Au servers to install and you will get the latest 12.1 version provided you bought the mcafee product from Mcafee or a store. Partner's versions (dell or supplied by your ISP) will stay at 11.6 but even that might be a good idea as 5 years of updating probably warrants a clean reinstall.

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101331

Tony
    Volunteer Moderator
    Mcafee Total Protection 7.0 beta, Windows 8 64bit
    No Unrequested PMs please
    Do you have an idea for improving McAfee products? Please share it in the new Ideas community space!  NOTE: You must register an account first.

• bolter Newcomer 2 posts since
    Jan 5, 2013

I have the same issue going on.  I have this version from my ISP and am only having the issue on Vista, our laptop has Windows 7 on it with no problems.  I have ran MVT and typically come up with the same issue as you are having.  I have tried reinstalling 3 times, using MCPR, and not using it.  I have been on with Mcafee's tech support 5 times and each time they say it's fixed, or because I am wireless, or a multitude of other reasons, but it never gets fixed.  Sometimes I can restart it, sometimes I can't.  It's a pain.  I don't know what to try anymore.

• Peacekeeper Volunteer Moderator 21,354 posts since
    Nov 23, 2002
    3. Jan 5, 2013 4:03 PM (in response to bolter)
    Re: Real Time Scanning drops off / corrupt DAT files

bolter recall and ask for an escalation 5 calls far in excess of what is expected to fix an issue. can you post your SR job numbers here so I can follow up with the techs as well.

Tony
    Volunteer Moderator
    Mcafee Total Protection 7.0 beta, Windows 8 64bit
    No Unrequested PMs please
    Do you have an idea for improving McAfee products? Please share it in the new Ideas community space!  NOTE: You must register an account first.

• bolter Newcomer 2 posts since
    Jan 5, 2013

These are the three I have on file.  The other 2 were sent through my ISP since my fourth call McAfee wouldn't talk to me directly anymore since there was a "special area" to talk to through my ISP.  I have the other two written down somewhere, but have to look for them .  As the original post had said I typically get that issue with MVT coming up.  On occasion I have also gotten a couple of registry errors or this one

Expected Service State Incorrect                             
                                Expected : running
                                Existing : stopped
                                  Service: mcshield "C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\SystemCore\\mcshield.exe"
                                    Expected Service Startup type Incorrect                             
                                Expected : automatic
                                Existing : disabled
                                    Expected Service Startup type Incorrect                             
                                Expected : automatic
                                Existing : disabled
                                  Service: mfefire "C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\SystemCore\\mfefire.exe"

My last call I was on hold for nearly an hour, I will try your suggestion when I have the time to wait again just in case.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points