9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 14, 2013 3:17 PM by Peter M

"Installation Incomplete - We couldn't install any of the security features..." HELP? logs included.

Recently my subscription was set to renew. I was supposed to get a special rate, but it autorenewed a month early at full price instead. I contacted support, who refunded it and re-billed at the correct rate. However, instead of actually renewing the existing subscription at the correct rate, they set up an entire new subscription, and told me I'd have to uninstall the existing software and download and install again in order to activate the new subscription.

I did this successfully (mostly) on two computers. However, on the 3rd, which unfortunately is my main business computer, it refuses to install, giving the error listed in the title. I had McAfee installed on this computer just fine and working great before I was forced to uninstall it due to this subscription snafu. It does it's "threat detection", it asks me for my subscription info, it asks me which type of install I want (I've tried both complete and custom), it downloads the software, gets finished downloading all the software, and starts installing, and then abruptly ends with the above error.

I have contacted support with no success ( I was told it was my computer's fault, not their software, and repeatedly told to do system updates, and finally told I could have tier2 support call me in 1-2 business days if I wanted, after I got frustrated with the guy talking in circles and offering no help). 

I have followed all the troubleshooting steps and suggestions I could find on the site and in the forums.

Yes, my windoze 7 has sp1 installed and is up to date.

No, I don't have any other antivirus stuff installed. McAfee is the only thing that's ever touched this laptop since I got it a few months ago.

Yes, I ran the cleanup tool.

Yes, I ran the pre-install tool.

Yes, I tried to run virtual technician, which of course, was unable to find McAfee installed.

I have tried in safe mode.

I have tried to Run As Administrator.

I have tried rebooting between each install attempt.

My java and all other software on the system is up to date.

Yes, I ran chkdsk and sfc.

No, there's nothing in the firewall preventing it from connecting.

Yes, I have double-checked the registry and temp files and stuff for traces of the previous program.

NO I AM NOT GOING TO WIPE MY SYSTEM AND REINSTALL EVERYTHING - THAT WOULD TAKE DAYS TO REINSTALL ALL MY BUSINESS SOFTWARE AND LICENSES.

I checked the installation logs, and here is what I found:

From ..\All Users\McAfee\MCLOGS\Common\Install\Install000.log :

01/04/2013 07:11:05 AM$ -- (Error)$ [   McBrwsr2.dll]$ failed on loading file:stylesheet.css from dll:C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\Temp\MCB5E4~1\PRESCA~1.DLL

01/04/2013 07:11:22 AM$ -- (Error)$ [   McBrwsr2.dll]$ failed on loading file:stylesheet.css from dll:C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\Temp\MCB5E4~1\PRESCA~1.DLL

01/04/2013 07:11:50 AM$ -- (Error)$ [   McBrwsr2.dll]$ failed on loading file:stylesheet.css from dll:C:\Users\xxx\AppData\Local\Temp\MCB5E4~1\PRESCA~1.DLL

01/04/2013 07:11:55 AM$ -- (Error)$ [   McBrwsr2.dll]$ The parameter name wasn't found!

01/04/2013 07:11:55 AM$ -- (Error)$ [   McBrwsr2.dll]$ Exiting - FAILED

01/04/2013 07:11:56 AM$ -- (Error)$ [   McBrwsr2.dll]$ The parameter name wasn't found!

01/04/2013 07:11:56 AM$ -- (Error)$ [   McBrwsr2.dll]$ Exiting - FAILED

From ..\All Users\McAfee\MCLOGS\McInst\Common000.log :

01/04/2013 07:18:10 AM [mscLI.inf, MSC] -- (Error) ..There was some error in installation. Cleaning up all entries previously created under appid MSC

From ..\All Users\McAfee\MCLOGS\McInst\mcsvchost64.inf000.log :

01/04/2013 07:18:10 AM [MSC] -- (Error) There was an error in the call when executing regsvr32.exe with command line /s  "c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\mcafee\platform\MCSVCH~1\mcsvhver.dll". Error: 3

01/04/2013 07:18:10 AM [MSC] -- (Error) ..There was some error (0) during installation. Directly deleting the temporary folder C:\PROGRA~2\McAfee\Temp\qxzD3A3 since we wont be needing it anyway

From ..\All Users\McAfee\MCLOGS\McInst\mhn64inf000.log :

01/04/2013 07:18:10 AM [MSC] -- (Error) ..Could not run the process as C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\MNA\mcnasvc.exe doesnt exist

01/04/2013 07:18:10 AM [MSC]-- (Error) ..Could not run the process as C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\MNA\McAltHst.exe doesnt exist

01/04/2013 07:18:10 AM [MSC]-- (Error) There was an error in the call when executing regsvr32.exe with command line /s  "c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\mcafee\mhn\HOMENE~1.DLL". Error: 3

01/04/2013 07:18:10 AM [MSC]-- (Error) There was an error in the call when executing regsvr32.exe with command line /s  "c:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\mcafee\mhn\HOMENE~3.DLL". Error: 3

01/04/2013 07:18:10 AM [MSC] -- (Error) There was an error registering C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\MHN\HomeNetSvc.dll. Error: 3

01/04/2013 07:18:10 AM [MSC] -- (Error) ..There was some error (3) during installation. Directly deleting the temporary folder C:\PROGRA~2\McAfee\Temp\qxzD3A3 since we wont be needing it anyway

From ..\All Users\McAfee\MCLOGS\McInst\mscLI.inf000.log :

01/04/2013 07:18:10 AM [MSC] -- (Error) ..There was some error (1603) during installation. Directly deleting the temporary folder C:\PROGRA~2\McAfee\Temp\qxzD3A3 since we wont be needing it anyway

I am ready to go back to AVG at this point, despite how bloated it's become in the past few years. At least I know I can install it and it will run.