4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 2, 2013 2:50 PM by karthiks

Activation Error!

It has been almost a month when I purchased my Lenovo Idea Pad Z580. It came with pre-installed McAfee AV, which was valid only for a month. The vendor gave me a CD which according to him, I should use after my one month period is over. Now, when I tried to install that software using the cd, at the activation window, I came across this (accompanied image). I don't know what to do. My vendor and the CD cover promises protection for 1 year but I'm not able to register myself. Did my vendor cheat me? Can I ask for a refund?

• 1. Re: Activation Error!
          exbrit

What operating system and service pack is this?   Also, as McAfee relies on it, what version of IE is installed?

The above issue may be caused because the old software is still there.  Try uninstalling everything via Control Panel/Programs /Uninstall a Program (Add or Remove Programs in XP)

Then run the MCPR cleanup tool

Reboot and then try your installation again.

If you get the same result I suggest contacting Technical  Support via the link under Useful Links at the top of this page.

It's free and available by phone or online chat.

• 2. Re: Activation Error!

OS- Windows 7 Home Basic

Used your recommended software but I'd strongly recommend you to carefully read the question before answering.

Nothing is working out as this isn't about what you're talking about. So, please help me out.

• 3. Re: Activation Error!
              exbrit

I read your question.  I was trying to explain a) You must have Windows 7 SP1 for starters, if you don't look here:  https://community.mcafee.com/docs/DOC-2205 and then install all the dozens of updates since then, including IE9 because many applications, including McAfee utilize IE, despite your browser preferences... and b) The problem could also be that the older original software wasn't uninstalled first, hence my recommendation to uninstall everything and start over again.

If all that isn't helpful the click here and call the nearest Technical Support phone number:  http://service.mcafee.com/faq/country.html

• 4. Re: Activation Error!

Ozuma,

It seems like the version of McAfee trying to install is not the latest one, Perhaps it is trying to install 10.0 or 10.5 McAfee version but it is not supported today. The Latest versions are MFE 11.6 and above, so do you have the proof of this McAfee Purchase CD from your Lenovo support people ? if do please contact McAfee Support with the Proof, there are chances they can help you out.