3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 31, 2012 5:36 AM by exbrit

McAfee keeps crashing my PC?

I am using (have for years) McAfee for home use. About 3 weeks ago an extensive update to Windows 7 was downloaded and then it seemed problems began. My PC started simply locking and closing down, blue screened a few times and McAfee running would also crash the PC. PC World wiped hard disc and I then reinstalled all software etc. So, after all updated problems have begun again, on Friday I had a message to download an urgent Windows 7 update via McAfee notification which I have never had before and started me thinking McAfee and Windows know there is a problem?

Whenever I run a full real time scan on McAfee it crashes my PC and not any particular point, it can be after say 9% completed or 49%. Getting very tired of this and cannot think I am alone in this so any help appreciated as soon McAfee will have to go......

• 1. Re: McAfee keeps crashing my PC?
          exbrit

It sounds to me like the software has been corrupted somehow.  I assume this is Windows 7 SP1 and fully updated via Windows Update?

Try uninstalling McAfee from Control Panel > Programs > Uninstall a Program, then running the MCPR cleanup tool listed under Useful Links at the top of this page, reboot and reinstall from your online account.

• 2. Re: McAfee keeps crashing my PC?

Ex-Brit, tried that and still same problem when trying a full scan, ok on quick scan. I still think there is a McAfee/Windows 7 problem as I found it very strange to get a message form McAfee last Friday tellin me to urgently download an update from Windows?

• 3. Re: McAfee keeps crashing my PC?
              exbrit

I find that strange too unless you ran the Vulnerability Scanner that's found on the latest version of the products.  Did you install the update it suggested and are you totally up to date inclkuding parts you may not use such as IE?

I suggest Technical Support, it's free and avail;able by phone or online chat and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.