7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 1, 2013 5:20 AM by Peter M

On line scan?

Sicnarf

I am unable to access McAfee on my laptop. According to Win7  McAfee is "snoozing" (?).

I have the icon on my desktop but when I click on it nothing happens.

The BAD part of this is I loaned my laptop to a friend and this is how I got it back.....( yes I goofed)

Is there somewhere on the McAfee site that I can navigate to and scan my machine?

Perhaps a virus is making McAfee "snooze"?

Thanks

Sic

• 1. Re: On line scan?
          Peter M

Moved to Malware Discussions for now.

New Year's Resolution - Do Not Lend Anything To Anyone.  (I've done it and rued the day so decided that years ago).

Online scans are usually ineffective at curing anything because when they get to the juicy bit, they often ask you to upgrade, so the best idea would be to try either of the following:

a)  Try rebooting into Safe Mode by tapping F8 repeatedly while booting up and using System Restore to go back to before all this happened.   I don't know what system this is but SR can be accessed in several ways, hints in the last link in my signature below.

b)  Take a flash USB drive and, on a machine that works, download the installer for Malwarebytes Free (also in that last link in my signature) to it, rename it to something innocuous by using the "Save as" option, in case any infection stops a recognized anti-malware program such as it.   Then install it on your machine and run it, in Safe Mode with Networking if necessary.  It works fine in that mode and hopefully the 'Networking' bit will allow it to access the update servers.

Try those for now and if they don't work then I'll try to think up something more drastic.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 29/12/12 7:32:02 EST AM
          • 2. Re: On line scan?
            Sicnarf

After examining my machine more closely I found "PC Cleaner" on it. Running a search on the net says the program is malware?

I went to Malwarebytes.com and DL'd their product and could not open it either.

Have you run into this "PC cleaner" stuff?

Looks like a long slog to get rid of it.

Bye the way, where is this "group" listed? Somehow I stumbled here after looking for several minutes.

May never find my way back.....

Sic

• 3. Re: On line scan?
              Peter M

Malwarebytes will work in 'Safe Mode" and even better 'Safe Mode with Networking; as that allows it to update.

There's a MBAM forum thread about that PC Cleaner here:  http://forums.malwarebytes.org/index.php?showtopic=106955

Sorry not sure what you mean about where is this group listed, you mean McAfee Forums?  Right-clicking you taskbar icon and selecting Get Help has several lead-offs and one of them is to the main home page here.

Also a Google Search will find us.    Just bookmark http://community.mcafee.com/ .

• 4. Re: On line scan?

Hi Sicnarf,

As per your post, your issue is unable to open the McAfee, correct me if I’m wrong ?   Are you getting any alerts says “Your Computer is infected”?

You can also follow the steps given in the below link which can help to access the McAfee

http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS101233

Message was edited by: karthiks on 12/31/12 7:54:53 AM CST
                • 5. Re: On line scan?
                  Sicnarf

Karthik

You are correct I cannot open the Security Center at all nor will McAfee "scan" any files. I am NOT getting any messages from McAfee .What I am told by Win7 is that McAfee is "snoozed" and "mcagent" is incompatible" with Win7.

Per Brits suggestion I went to Malwarebytes and DL'd their program and installed it. (Though I didn't run it in Safe Mode.) It ALSO shows to be incompatible with Win7.

I am predicating my diagnosis on this article I found on line.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5003975_remove-pc-cleaner.html

However I cannot find any of the files and registry entries it lists for removal except the .exe file.

The suspected program does NOT show in the "uninstall programs list" nor does it appear in the Start programs list. There is just an icon on my desktop that looks like a blue broom. If I activate the icon it takes me here pccleaner.com . or at other times it takes me to some generic site offering other links.

Of the two files I could find, both show to be pcleaner.exe, one was in "My Pictures" and one file was in a legit program folder(?) called Driver Genius. In list view the pccleaner.exe file was using the Google Chrom icon.

This is part of a DDS file that another site suggested I run. What does it mean that McAfee is "dusabled/updated"?

DDS (Ver_2012-11-20.01) - NTFS_x86

Internet Explorer: 9.0.8112.16457

Run by beau at 23:52:03 on 2012-12-30

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 6.1.7601.1.1252.1.1033.18.2940.1853 [GMT -6:00]

AV: McAfee Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware *Disabled/Updated* {ADA629C7-7F48-5689-624A-3B76997E0892}

SP: McAfee Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware *Disabled/Updated* {16C7C823-5972-5907-58FA-0004E2F9422F}

SP: Windows Defender *Disabled/Updated* {D68DDC3A-831F-4fae-9E44-DA132C1ACF46}

FW: McAfee Firewall *Enabled* {959DA8E2-3527-57D1-4915-924367AD4FE9}

Do you think wht YOU suggested will fix my problem?

Thanks

Sic

• 6. Re: On line scan?

Hi,

My suggestion to you is to uninstall & reinstall the McAfee Software

Please follow the below instructions to uninstall & reinstall the McAfee

Run the McAfee Removal Tool using the below link

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

Restart the machine

Run the McAfee Preinstall Tool using the below link

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/McPreInstall.e xe

Follow the instructions given in the below link to reinstall the McAfee

http://service.mcafee.com/faqdocument.aspx?id=TS100342

Please update me the Outcome

• 7. Re: On line scan?
                      Peter M

Sicnarf wrote:

Karthik

You are correct I cannot open the Security Center at all nor will McAfee "scan" any files. I am NOT getting any messages from McAfee .What I am told by Win7 is that McAfee is "snoozed" and "mcagent" is incompatible" with Win7.

Per Brits suggestion I went to Malwarebytes and DL'd their program and installed it. (Though I didn't run it in Safe Mode.) It ALSO shows to be incompatible with Win7.

I am predicating my diagnosis on this article I found on line.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5003975_remove-pc-cleaner.html

However I cannot find any of the files and registry entries it lists for removal except the .exe file.

The suspected program does NOT show in the "uninstall programs list" nor does it appear in the Start programs list. There is just an icon on my desktop that looks like a blue broom. If I activate the icon it takes me here pccleaner.com . or at other times it takes me to some generic site offering other links.

Of the two files I could find, both show to be pcleaner.exe, one was in "My Pictures" and one file was in a legit program folder(?) called Driver Genius. In list view the pccleaner.exe file was using the Google Chrom icon.

This is part of a DDS file that another site suggested I run. What does it mean that McAfee is "dusabled/updated"?

DDS (Ver_2012-11-20.01) - NTFS_x86

Internet Explorer: 9.0.8112.16457

Run by beau at 23:52:03 on 2012-12-30

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 6.1.7601.1.1252.1.1033.18.2940.1853 [GMT -6:00]

AV: McAfee Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware *Disabled/Updated* {ADA629C7-7F48-5689-624A-3B76997E0892}

SP: McAfee Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware *Disabled/Updated* {16C7C823-5972-5907-58FA-0004E2F9422F}

SP: Windows Defender *Disabled/Updated* {D68DDC3A-831F-4fae-9E44-DA132C1ACF46}

FW: McAfee Firewall *Enabled* {959DA8E2-3527-57D1-4915-924367AD4FE9}

Do you think wht YOU suggested will fix my problem?

Thanks

Sic

This 'not compatible with Windows 7" remark worries me because all of them are most definately compatible with Windows 7.  That could mean that Windows 7 is totally corrupted, or you haven't yet installed SP1 and updated all the dozens of updates since then, or it's not a genuine copy of Windows.  That version number doesn't mean much.

Does it say "Service Pack 1" when you right-click 'Computer' on your desktop or in the Start Menu and select Properties?   Also over at the right of the same window is the Genuine Windows badge there?

See the pic below to see what I mean.  Click to enlarge:

Untitled.jpg

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 01/01/13 6:20:21 EST AM