Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
1283 Views 6 Replies Latest reply: Jan 4, 2013 6:36 AM by heberrio RSS
heberrio Newcomer 9 posts since
Jun 21, 2011
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 26, 2012 7:28 AM

Web reporter not show in the Quick View

Hello,

I can see in the log files on the gateway that is has been pushed successfully. 

erro1.PNG

erro2.PNGerro3.PNG

Any Ideas?

• consoul Newcomer 35 posts since
    Aug 18, 2011
    1. Jan 2, 2013 12:07 PM (in response to heberrio)
    Re: Web reporter not show in the Quick View

Not sure if you are running this on linux or windows server. Recently our WebReporter has stopped working on a regular basis, after years of stable (yet sub-par) performance.

If you are on Linux, try the following:

service webreporter_x64_control stop

service webreporter_x64_idb_control stop

service webreporter_x64_control start

service webreporter_x64_idb_control start

Then check to see if your db inserts start back up.

(Note: You will have to re-open the web console if you had it open at the time, simply refreshing doesnt seem to do it for me after an app restart. Assuming it has to do with the Java clients connection settings.)

• sroering McAfee SME 458 posts since
    Feb 10, 2011
    2. Jan 2, 2013 12:21 PM (in response to heberrio)

If log jobs are showing in Web Reporter, then check the status. If the status is successful, that really only means that Web Reporter looked at the header (first record) and decided it had the necessary log structure.  If the log records don't match the header (a common mistake on Web Gateway 7), then the log job could result in 100% errors. I suspect this is your problem.  Take a careful look at the access logs to see that the header matches the records.

Sorry, I know this sometimes causes confustion.

heberrio wrote:

Hello,

I can see in the log files on the gateway that is has been pushed successfully. 

erro1.PNG

erro2.PNGerro3.PNG

Any Ideas?

Feb 10, 2011
    3. Jan 2, 2013 12:44 PM (in response to consoul)

Hello,

Sorry that you seem to be experiencing issues, but I want to make a few things clear. 

1) The issue reported by herberrio doesn't appear to be performance related.

2) Restarting the service does not resolve any performance problems unless something is misconfigured, such as setting the java memory too high (KB73295). See 7th bullet point. Large JVM memory allocation (more than 4 GB) overloads the garbage collector over time, and simply isn't necessary for anyone.

3) Restarting the service is only necessary if the JVM memory is exhausted. This may seem contradictory to point 2, but if Web Reporter needed more than 4GB of RAM, something is wrong. An example is creating a detail data based report for all records.  This is the analogous to creating a PDF document or HTML page directly from your Web Gateway access logs.  Unfortunately there is no safety switch to prevent people from making reports so large if they choose 'all results' on their query.

4) Restarting the service may give 'perceived' performance increase for a short time due to empty buffers.  Web Reporter has always been extremely efficient at taking records from an access log file and reading them into memory.  Once that buffer is full, log parsers go to sleep to prevent the system from running out of memory.  The bottle neck in performance is always due to other problems. 

5) There are different types of performance issues and we can help you identify them and likely resolve them. Perhaps you could start a new thread and provide us with some specific details to the problem(s) you are seeing.

6) The issue with refreshing the browser when the Web Reporter service is restarted I could likely explain, but won't help resolve the problem. I think it happens when the browser doesn't restart the JVM on the client side. Then the Web Reporter client cannot re-establish the connection.  Restarting your browser would also close the JVM and essentially work-around the issue.  If you remove everything after ".../reporter/" in the URL, it should reload the applet without needing to restart the browser.

consoul wrote:

Not sure if you are running this on linux or windows server. Recently our WebReporter has stopped working on a regular basis, after years of stable (yet sub-par) performance.

If you are on Linux, try the following:

service webreporter_x64_control stop

service webreporter_x64_idb_control stop

service webreporter_x64_control start

service webreporter_x64_idb_control start

Then check to see if your db inserts start back up.

(Note: You will have to re-open the web console if you had it open at the time, simply refreshing doesnt seem to do it for me after an app restart. Assuming it has to do with the Java clients connection settings.)

• consoul Newcomer 35 posts since
    Aug 18, 2011
    4. Jan 2, 2013 1:55 PM (in response to sroering)

sroering, thanks for your reply. My reply was however like the OP, not about performance but about logs not being processed. Whenever I see that logs are simply not being processed (and often get the message at the bottom of quickview reports about there being a backlog) I restart the services. This usually remediates the issue.

Feb 10, 2011
    5. Jan 2, 2013 3:12 PM (in response to consoul)

Consoul,

In the basic sense, Web Reporter does 2 functions, import logs and make reports. However, there are a lot of components involved and issues are not always so simple.  Next time you have issues with logs not being processed, please contact support to report the issue.  Submit a feedback so we can look at the data.

If Web Reporter stops working randomly, I can only think of two possibilities without looking at any data.  1) out of memory issue as I described earlier. So until you understand the cause of out-of-memory error, you cannot fix the issue.  2) Problem repairing connection to the database.  Typically broken connections are automatically repaired and don't have any lasting impact.  But there have only been a couple of these issues over the life of this product and they were very specific and not commonly encountered.  If you report problems to support we can help you get them solved.

Since version 5.2.0, all log parsing performance issues should have been resolved. We haven't seen any new issues since then.  Personally I'm expecting some improvement in the next release, based on testing I've done in the past, but it is more or less the side effect of a larger clean-up project. But the benifit is only likely to be noticed by large enterprises with more than 10 proxies and/or 200 million log records per day.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points