1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2013 5:58 AM by Peter M

Virus and Spyware Protection and Incredimail 2.0

I have the email programme Incredimail 2.0 with  the latest available update and this has worked very harmoniously with McAfee Internet Security 2012 until the latest update of McAfee 12.1.......now the email client is very slow to send emails......fine receiving......and also has a problem when manually transferring emails from one folder to another.....The only way it works again is if you disable Real Time Scanning......I have subsequently reinstalled McAfee to no effect......I am running windows vista with all the lates patches......Does anyone have any ideas....I have also tried disableing Netgaurd in the firewall settings for Incredimail and this doesnt work either....

• 1. Re: Virus and Spyware Protection and Incredimail 2.0
          Peter M

While you were checking Netguard did you see if Incredimail has full permissions?

I checked IM Support and they give a rather ancient example of SecurityCenter but the idea is the same.....

http://help.incredimail.com/incredimail/help_center/help_article.aspx?is=t&artic le_id=54

I use Incredimail XE as I don't like the new one so can only guess at this.

As turning off Real Time Scanning is dangerous I would contact Technical Support.  It's free by phone or online chat and available through Useful Links at the top of this page.

The only other thought I have is to never store emails in your Inbox, as that is what RTS is scanning, so move them out into sub-folders.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 24/12/12 7:27:15 EST AM
          • 2. Re: Virus and Spyware Protection and Incredimail 2.0

Thanks for your promt reply Peter......I looked at the incredimail article and indeed there were a couple exe files that weren't granted access permision so I added them but unfortunately it didn't make any difference.....So I went back to the RTS section of McAfee and turned off each tick box option in turn......the one that squashes incredimail is the instant messaging attachments tick box......with it off, it works fine, and with it set to on sent emails take forever to process, as does transferring emails to alternate subfolders......wierd eh !!!

Might this be a bug thats worth pursuing or do you think its acceptable to leave the tick box off

Happy Christmas !!

Message was edited by: brinzlee on 24/12/12 12:23:39 GMT
            • 3. Re: Virus and Spyware Protection and Incredimail 2.0
              Peter M

How interesting.  That IM setting should have no effect in any email client.   The email attachments one might though, very strange.   Can you post the SecurityCenter and VirusScan version please?   Open SecurityCenter and click About.

I'll bring it up at our next conference call with McAfee which, thanks to the holidays, wont be until 7 January.

Merry Christmas to you too.

• 4. Re: Virus and Spyware Protection and Incredimail 2.0
                Peter M

In answer to whether or not it's OK to leave that box unchecked, I would say yes, because anything bad saved to the hard drive would eventually be detected anyway.

• 5. Re: Virus and Spyware Protection and Incredimail 2.0

Hope this will suffice.......wouldn't it be nice if you could copy and paste that info......rather than write it all manually !!

Thanks once again.......Mince pie time now !!

McAfee SecurityCenter

Version: 12.1

Build: 12.1.253

Affld: 0-1731

Last Update: 20/12/2012

McAfee Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware

Vesion:16.1

Last Update: 23/12/2012

Engine version: 1385.0

Engine creation date: 23/12/2012

McAfee Anti-Spam

Version: 13.1

Build: 13.1.115

Last update: 20/12/2012

Content Version: 4441

Content update: 24/12/2012 09:36:56

Engine version: 3.0.0.429

McAfee Vulnerability Scanner

Version: 2.1

Build: 2.1.148

Last update: 20/12/2012

Message was edited by: brinzlee on 24/12/12 12:59:54 GMT
                  • 6. Re: Virus and Spyware Protection and Incredimail 2.0
                    Peter M

It would be nice and we have suggested that.   Thanks I will pass that on.  So it was only the IM attachments option turned off that made the difference, not the Email attachments option?

I have to be sure before I start rattling cages.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 24/12/12 10:45:13 EST AM
                    • 7. Re: Virus and Spyware Protection and Incredimail 2.0

That is confirmed it is the IM attachments option that was on by default that caused the problems so I now have the tick box off.

• 8. Re: Virus and Spyware Protection and Incredimail 2.0
                        Peter M

Thanks.  That's so crazy...I'll report back if and when I hear anything.

Merry Christmas.

• 9. Re: Virus and Spyware Protection and Incredimail 2.0
                          Peter M

Can you try updating Incredimail to the latest, 2.5 I believe and see if it continues.  If it does please contact Technical Support but please let us know here, thanks.

TS is free and available by phone or online chat and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

1 2 Previous Next