3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2013 12:06 PM by Peter M

Internet Security and iTunes Issue(s)

so, up until this writing i had the latest McAfee Internet Security suite on my Acer 5820T w/ Win7 Home. was using this laptop as primary iTunes for syncing my iPhone4. the other day iTunes notified me i needed to upgrade my phone from ios 4.x to ios 6.x, so i tried, and to keep this short is was a real pita. i had to call apple support, they gave me a complimentary support session (imagine that, a company who has more cash than the fed reserve cant even give free support for their crud). so, the support tech asks me to do this and do that, and to no avail i was no further along than i was before i called apple. ok, so i take things into my own hands and i install iTunes on another system i have and everything goes ok (ios upgrades just fine, backup and restores work fine, etc). so, i thought that was it and put my phone back to my laptop only to find sync's dont work and i cant always make a successful backup of the phone. so ok, i did some gooling around for "iTunes and McAfee Internet Security issues" and found many. some suggestions said to disable the McAfee product but the sofware services and stuff are protected from standard local admin from making such changes. ok, frustrated as i was at this point, and the fact that my McAfee subscription is to expire in 12 days from now, i uninstalled McAfee using the McAfee uninstall program. and voila, now my iTunes works 100% !!!

so, i am very reluctant to re-install McAfee stuff because:

1) it interferes with "standard" / "common" programs

2) it's such a pita to disable for testing purposes

so the Q to all this is, does there exist a single support doc from McAfee that:

1) describes how to configure Internet Security to allow iTunes 100% ?

2) describes how to disable the product 100% for testing purposes?

if no such info exists then i am moving on to another product. if you have a link that would be great.

thanks,

CS

• 1. Re: Internet Security and iTunes Issue(s)
          Peter M

I've gone through several iterations of iTunes and iOS here and had no issues ever.

Open SecurityCenter

Click Web and Email protection

Click Firewall

Click Internet Connections for Programs (takes a while to load)

Click the word Program at the top to rearrange them alphabetically and make sure all the following have Full Access (use Edit ifnecessary to change them and don't forget to Save)

Apple Push

Apple Software Update

Bonjour Service

iCloud (there may be 2 - OK)

iPodService Module

iTunes

iTunes Helper

MobileDeviceHelper

MobileDeviceService

If that doesn't help contact Technical Support by phone or online chat, it's free and available through Useful Links at the top of this page.

• 2. Re: Internet Security and iTunes Issue(s)

ok, so i think i believe your confidence in the product working nice with iTunes, however, McAfee must be out of their minds when it comes to pricing. The renewal emails i got say "renew now for $79/yr to protect one system", but when i go to the website directly it says "buy for just $49/yr for 3 systems" !!!

that's crazy, and it makes me want to look elsewhere.

• 3. Re: Internet Security and iTunes Issue(s)
              Peter M

The auto-renewal process for some reason doesn't know aboiut any reduced price sales going on.  I would say that's a pretty normal experience in the software world.   It's a free market so shop around for the best price.   Meanwhile you can turn off the autorenewal on your account page or ask Customer Service to do it for you.