6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 25, 2012 6:49 PM by onouo

Operating system missing after switch HDD from ATA to SATA

Hi,

First of all, background:

- We are using EEPC 5.2.5, HDD was full encrypted.

- It is a Dell Latitude E6410 laptop.

- OS is Windows XP sp3.

- OS was installed and running in ATA mode.

Days ago, I swtich my laptop's HDD mode from ATA to SATA. After switch, I can boot up XP and login successfully.

For some reason(maybe patching), my laptop performed a reboot and then show me and message - Operating system missing... The EEPC username and password interface did not show before that message.

Then I tried to decrypt with Safetech CD. I got Authorised and Authenticated by the daily authorization code and the SDB file, but when I try to remove EEPC, I got error E005001.

Data in this laptop is important, I do a Disk to image backup by Norton Ghost, will it help? Any suggestion to help me get back my data?

• 1. Re: Operating system missing after switch HDD from ATA to SATA

Hello onouo,

I have a few suggestions.

1. Use KB51979 and Norton Ghost (Disk to Image) to backup the client machine before taking any further actions. Keep in mind, this will create an image the same size as the drive - ie if it the encrypted disk is 500GB then you will have a 500 GB image.
          2. After creating an image:
            1. Try changing the HDD mode back to ATA and reboot - this may or may not help.
            2. Try to 'Repair Disk Information" and then try to "Remove EEPC" again
            3. The last step, since the Remove EEPC option failed, will be a force decryption of the drive using a SafeTech or WinTech CD. I would recommend a WinTech CD as it will decrypt considerably faster.
          • 2. Re: Operating system missing after switch HDD from ATA to SATA

Thanks for your reply, robrow.

Actually I did change HDD mode back to ATA when I meet this error message, but no help. And my GHO file is created after changing back to ATA.

But I did not noticed compression is not recommended, I think I need to redo it...

A question please? I'm using Norton Ghost v8.0, is it OK?

• 3. Re: Operating system missing after switch HDD from ATA to SATA

Norton Ghost v8.0 will work.

• 4. Re: Operating system missing after switch HDD from ATA to SATA

I did another image without compression, and use this image recovered a portable USB disk. Now I'm decrypting the portable disk from sector 63 to the end sector.

But, very strange,  what I saw on the Force Crypt Sectors window is:

"Encrypting" Disk1242260, xxxxxxxxxx sectors of xxxxxxxxxxx

I'm very sure that I did click on the Decrypt button, not Encrypt.

Is it working in decrypting mode now?

• 5. Re: Operating system missing after switch HDD from ATA to SATA

We have two seperate issues at work:

1) You are correct - this should be alright. As long as you selected to 'decrypt' some of the wintech/safetech verbage still shows encrypting sectors even after selecting decrypt drive. This is alright and it will decrypt.

But...

2) Because encryption functions at the sector level, the image would need to be placed on the same type of drive from which the orginal image was taken.

For example: If I have a Dell E6410 with a Samsung SpinPoint P120 250 GB SP2504C HDD, then I would need to place this image onto another Samsung SpinPoint P120 250 GB SP2504C HDD.

This is because the drive will need to have the same size and geometry as the previous drive.

I do not believe what you have described above will work because the portable drive will not have the same drive geometry as the drive from which the image was taken.

Message was edited by: robrow on 12/25/12 6:32:11 PM CST
                  • 6. Re: Operating system missing after switch HDD from ATA to SATA

Oh...I see...I think I have to stop it now...Thanks for your suggestion, I will try and update.