Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
1160 Views 2 Replies Latest reply: Dec 27, 2012 12:28 PM by robsara RSS
mcramer Newcomer 6 posts since
Aug 30, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 22, 2012 11:46 PM

Windows PE 4.0 Offline Scanner!

So I'm currently in the process of building an offline scanner for McAfee VSE using Windows PE 4.0. The driving force behind this is that I was told you could run EETech and then use a file manager to browse the files after a successful mount of an HD using EETech. This would save me substantial amounts of time for triaging malware and even recovering user data. While I have not personally tested the offline EE mounting, I figured even without that an offline scanner tool will be nice.

• Uses Windows PE 4.0
  • Powershell script that auto updates DAT files
  • HTA Application for executing tools
  • A43 File Manager

It still has a while to go before I'm comfortable releasing it.

This disc will NOT include McAfee binaries or driver files. The disk is not likely to boot if you do not have these available. I will not be providing them. You will need to download them via your grant number.

Keep an eye on my postings for an update.

• robsara Newcomer 1 posts since
    Dec 27, 2012
    Currently Being Moderated
    2. Dec 27, 2012 12:28 PM (in response to mcramer)
    Re: Windows PE 4.0 Offline Scanner!

Have you done any research into building this into a 64-bit Windows PE environment? It doesn't seem like McAfee has a 64-bit command line scanner (other than the one integrated with the regular VirusScan).

I have been building the 32-bit scanner into our Windows PE builds, but I'm looking to standardize into 64-bit only builds. Being able to join this with Microsoft's Windows Defender Offline in our standard Microsoft Diagnostics and Recovery Toolkit media would be very helpful.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)