3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 24, 2012 3:08 AM by Peacekeeper

Better tools and identification of devices on home networks

It took a while, but I have identified all the devices on my network. For me this includes 4 androids, 3 IOS-Somethings, 3 wireless computers, 4 media devices, 2 network drives, 2 wireless networks, distributed powerline, and an Eithernet wired computer. Between Windows 7, and paint I even have a network diagram annotated with switches of my network's backbone. I did this after having a miserable weekend about a month ago when I had Uverse installed getting everything to work afterward.

Macafee's current network device tab does work, but certianly could have been more helpful. The Icons are small, and there isn't a good selection of them for devices currently on many home networks. No icons for network drives, various types of printers, VOIP phones or adapters, or tablets. Some network drives and printers with Linix computers can't be properly reassigned simply because there aren't icons. I ended up using PDA icons for 2 tablet. A fill in the blank form for notes on switches that don't appear, and any device physical address that has been reassigned by DHCP. A picture says a thousand words as does network diagram. With all the design wizards I am sure tools for a line diagram using the icons wouldn't be that hard to come up with.

Most of the reasons people have a technician come to their home costing an arm and leg to pay for are easily avoided. It starts with knowing what you have, the native MAC address, and factory set IP address. I didn't end up having to call anyone out, but I ended up with a splittingweekend headache I could have avoided. Getting a handle on Iconfig doesn't hurt either; yes it is intricate, but it isn't rocket science.

• 1. Re: Better tools and identification of devices on home networks
          Peacekeeper

Good suggestions how about adding this as an idea in the ideas forum for consumer products. Though what version are you running? I see in 12.1 that Mcafee decides what the connection is ie you cannot edit the network device.

Tese what 12.1 has

My Home Network icons

These are the icons commonly used on the network map and the states that they might display.  

PC is connected to the network and doesn't have                           McAfee installed: online, offline, an intruder to the network.                      
                                                                                                                              PC is connected to the network, has                           McAfee installed, and is not trusted.                      
                                                                                                                              PC is trusted and has                           McAfee installed.                      
                                                                                                                              PC is trusted, has                           McAfee installed, and security status is                           at risk.                      
                                                                                                                                                                      Router: online, offline, an intruder to the network.                      
                                                                                                                                                                      A generic or unknown device: online, offline, an intruder to the network.                      
                                                                                                                                                                      Printer: online, offline, an intruder to the network.                      
                                                                                                                                                                      Gaming device: online, offline, an intruder to the network.                      
                                                                                                                                                                      Network storage: online, offline, an intruder to the network.                      
                                                                                                                                                                      Network media: online, offline, an intruder to the network.                      
                                                                                                                                                                      Mobile device: online, offline, an intruder to the network.                      

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 23/12/12 7:27:43 PM
          • 2. Re: Better tools and identification of devices on home networks

How do I do it? I joined yesterday & don't know my way around. MacAfee has improved its product a lot over the years, and found the network info device tab after trolling around looking for something more useful than my Gateway homepage.

I checked settings: Firewall is 12.6, and I can edit device name and change icon.

Is there a way to cross-post  my comments to consumer products form?

• 3. Re: Better tools and identification of devices on home networks
              Peacekeeper

Those pics were from firewall 13.1 and edit seems to have ben removed.

For ideas forum click on the link in my signature.