1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply: Aug 16, 2013 8:44 AM by vuilverwerking RSS

Outlook performance whe receiving meeting request

dvestal

About a month ago, users started reporting Outlook hanging throughout the day.  We later correlated it to whenever they received a meeting invitation.  This started happening about the same time I installed the VSE 8.8 patch 2, upgraded the ePo agent from 4.0 to 4.6 and applied any current Hotfixes to both VSE and ePo.  I beleive it has to do with VSE scanning the incoming meeting request from the Exchange server; when the meeting is received by Outlook, the Outlook wind turns white for about 20 seconds while the title bar say (Not Responding) has anyone else experienced this same issue?

• 1. Re: Outlook performance whe receiving meeting request
          pierce

I have seen a few lock up's with outlook and VSE 8.8P2, generally during DAT updates. When checking resource monitor the memory tab shows a very low amount of memory in the free state and this is what mcafee support have pointed the finger at.

I would install the mcafee VSE profiler and run this to see if it points out anything else that could be added to a low risk profile/exclusion group to aid performance.

• 2. Re: Outlook performance whe receiving meeting request
            ostein

im having the issue also

outlook locks up at random times

the eventvwr points out mcafee e-mail scan add-in as the reason for the crash

• 3. Re: Outlook performance whe receiving meeting request
              U4iA

Same issue here on Citrix servers. When people recieve meeting request the session freezes for a few seconds to a couple minutes. Logged a case about this at McAfee Support. We use McAfee Agent 4.6 and VSE 8.8 Patch 2. Will let you know if we find a solution.

• 4. Re: Outlook performance whe receiving meeting request
                ostein

hey U4iA thanks for sharing

can you confirm that the problem is with mcafee e-mail scan add-in ?

• 5. Re: Outlook performance whe receiving meeting request
                  dvestal

We now also have an open problem ticket with McAfee that has now been escalated to tier 2 support.

In troubleshooting, I found the problem is worst for the organizer of a meeting.  When a meeting is initially sent it immediately goes out, but  most recipients notice a 15 second freeze if they are actively using Outlook when the meeting is received.  Since the Outlook default is to tentatively accept the meeting, a reply is immediately sent back to the organizer.  When all the "tentatively accepted" replies start coming back to the organizer, that is when the organizers Outlook will hang for over a minute, my guess is the more attendees, the longer the hang.  The problem goes away if the McAfee Outlook Add-in is turned off.

I will post the resolution from McAfee when we get this resolved.

• 6. Re: Outlook performance whe receiving meeting request
                    ostein

i cant confirm that the issue is related to meeting requests in my case,

but i DO know that once i turned off mcafee outlook add-in

users that  had the hang problem reported back saying  that everything is working great

keep sharing guys!

• 7. Re: Outlook performance whe receiving meeting request
                      dvestal

After extensive uploading on diagnostic logs to McAfee, they determined Microsoft to be the problem and will not look into it any further.  We detemined that using McAfee GroupSheild on our Exchange server and VirusScan On-Accessing scanning of attachments to be sufficient for our environment and have disable the VirusScan On-Delivery Scanner.  We will try enabling when a new version of the the Outlook Add-in is released.

• 8. Re: Outlook performance whe receiving meeting request
                        asavener

We're experiencing an identical issue.  After upgrading from 8.8 Patch 1 to 8.8 Patch 2, some users started experiencing problems with Outlook.  Outlook becomes unresponsive for up to several minutes if a calendar invitation/meeting request is sent out.  (Larger distribution list means longer before Outlook is repsponsive.)

After reproducing the problem for McAfee, and demonstrating that the problem does not occur when the system's patch level is 8.8 Patch 1, they advised us to open a case with Microsoft.  (Really? Yes, really.)

We're currently having discussions with McAfee about additional troubleshooting, coordination with Microsoft, etc.

• 9. Re: Outlook performance whe receiving meeting request
                          alexn

Experiencing same issue with windows 8.

outlook 2007(downgraded but still it turns white "not responding".Untill i kill its process and start it again.Also excluded outlook.exe from VSE 8.8 p3 but no luck!!!!

I will ask Micrsoft for its solution?

on 6/25/13 4:23:40 PM CDT
                          1 2 Previous Next