6 Replies Latest reply: Dec 24, 2012 12:20 PM by gfergus1 RSS

Add Second IPS in Single Path

Currently I have a single IPS 4050 in production installed with Fail open kit and now I want to add another IPS but in single path scenario, anyone can help how  can add the second unit?

• 1. Re: Add Second IPS in Single Path

any ideas please

• 2. Re: Add Second IPS in Single Path

I think this probably belongs in the Business section - most likely

Business / Network Security / Network Security Platform (NSP, NIPS, NAC, NTBA)

- so I've moved it out of Security Awareness into that location.

Message was edited by: Hayton on 20/12/12 20:20:15 GMT
            • 3. Re: Add Second IPS in Single Path

please some one help, i need this info urgently..

Message was edited by: mixemos on 12/20/12 5:39:22 PM CST
              • 4. Re: Add Second IPS in Single Path

We would need more information on what your goals are to be able to correctly advise you.  I see you mentioned a single path.  This is the least common scenario.  Are you looking for redundancy?  Do you have two firewalls that have failover capabilities?

I recommend reviewing the high availability section of the device administration guide.  It's available as PD23848 at kc.mcafee.com.

• 5. Re: Add Second IPS in Single Path

first thanks for your reply.

Yes its a single path deployment because my network has one path only, and looking for sensor redundancy only, i know this least scenario but what to do this is the req, please i have both unit now but not able to connect them, below is summary of what i did

1- connect the outside network to FOK "outside port"

2- connect the inside network to FOK "inside port"

3- connect the outside monitoring port of the FOK to port 3A "sensor1"

4- connect port 3B"sensor1" to port 3A "sensor2"

5- connect port 3B"sensor2" to the FOK "inside port"

• 6. Re: Add Second IPS in Single Path

PD23848 available at kc.mcafee.com has a section on "redundant sensors on a single path" on page 191.  This is simlar to what you will want.  I don't thing putting the two sensors stacked with a single fail open kit around them will be very successful.  You should have 2 fail open kits if you truly want redundancy and fail open.