8 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2012 6:13 AM by Peter M Branched from an earlier discussion.

Conflict with recent "Total Protection" update.

My previously functioning pc's (Sony Vaio laptop/Dell Dimension desktop running Vista) using Total Protection 2013 were updated this week to build 12.1.253.  After two days of uninstalling and re-installing TP 2013 build 12.1.253 I have given up.   Even the McAfee technicians who I have been working with have not solved the issues that came with this update.  As I have just paid for 14 months of protection, I am a bit upset.   This is the second time this year that an update to TP 2012/2013 has cause problems with my machines.

I do hope that McAfee puts a new clean build which has been thoroughly tested before releasing it onto it's customers.

If anyone has the same symptoms as myself please let McAfee know:

• 100% CPU usage.
      • Hard disk thrashing
      • Lack of control of the desktop including McAfee
      • No access to the internet
      • USB ports disabled
        • 1. Re: Conflict with recent "Total Protection" update.
          Peter M

tbbt wrote:

My previously functioning pc's (Sony Vaio laptop/Dell Dimension desktop running Vista) using Total Protection 2013 were updated this week to build 12.1.253.  After two days of uninstalling and re-installing TP 2013 build 12.1.253 I have given up.   Even the McAfee technicians who I have been working with have not solved the issues that came with this update.  As I have just paid for 14 months of protection, I am a bit upset.   This is the second time this year that an update to TP 2012/2013 has cause problems with my machines.

I do hope that McAfee puts a new clean build which has been thoroughly tested before releasing it onto it's customers.

If anyone has the same symptoms as myself please let McAfee know:

• 100% CPU usage.
          • Hard disk thrashing
          • Lack of control of the desktop including McAfee
          • No access to the internet
          • USB ports disabled

All I can suggest is to make sure your Vista is totally up to date, the system, the browsers and their add-ons....all of them if you use another one from IE, drivers and firmware for hardware as well.   You can obtain a refund if you just paid and would prefer to switch.   Just contact Customer Service.

• 2. Re: Conflict with recent "Total Protection" update.

Both pc's are updated with the latest MS patches and the drivers are current and functioning.  Firefox is the latest version as is IE for Vista.  The only change is the TP update after which the machines failed. 

I presume Customer Services will pay back my Amazon account that I used to purchase the McAfee software,

• 3. Re: Conflict with recent "Total Protection" update.
              Peter M

No but Amazon or the merchant that sold through Amazon should.

Sometimes if software upgrades it helps to uninstall everything, run the MCPR cleanup tool, reboot and reinstall form your online account.   If that's the case try that first.

• 4. Re: Conflict with recent "Total Protection" update.

I followed McAfee instructions and used the MCPR tool every time with no success. 

As for reclaiming from Amazon, I don't see this as a goer as I also purchased some additional months from McAfee directly after the upgrade to 2013 from 2012.

Appears that I have wasted my money and two days of my time.

• 5. Re: Conflict with recent "Total Protection" update.
                  Peter M

Well if it was within 30 days the purchases are still refundable from both places I would have thought, but can't promise that.

Failing that go back to Technical Support and ask for escalation from your previous case. 

It's free after all and available by phone or online chat.   There may be something they overlooked the first time.

• 6. Re: Conflict with recent "Total Protection" update.
                    rajeshk4u

tbbt - you are having different issues to people who are on this thread.

Although the title would be correct i.e. Conflict with recent Total Protection update.

A lot of people here have had issues with Windows File Protection error and graphics card running at 4 bit - 16 colour mode..... This issue has been resolved for me.

• 7. Re: Conflict with recent "Total Protection" update.
                      Peter M

I've branched this to another thread for clarity.

• 8. Re: Conflict with recent "Total Protection" update.
                        Peter M

Also moved this to SecurityCenter as a better spot for people to help you.