1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 21, 2012 1:40 AM by asabban

Problem with ldap authentication and Office 2010

sec-wartung

Hi,

I've installed and configured Web Gateway 7.1 as a virtual appliance for our customer.  We have setup ldap-authentication which is working for normal web traffic.

We encounter a problem with Microsoft Office 2010 on Windows 7.

When our customer wants to open internet files from an office application he gets an error:

Access to this web server is disabled by default because it is controlled by basic authentication and does not use Secure Sockets Layer (SSL).

I assume this is because the authentication over Web gateway is non encrypted.

Is there any solution for this issue, besides using the fix provided from microsoft which disables this security feature?

Regards,

Norman

• 1. Re: Problem with ldap authentication and Office 2010
          asabban

Hello,

I don't think there is a solution. LDAP uses basic authentication, which means username and password go over the wire with a base64 encoding, but no encryption. Microsoft Office does not like this and prevents the request going through. On MWG there is nothing you could change apart from changing the authentication mechanism, so the only way would be to apply the change to the client application.

Other options:

- You could switch authentication from direct proxy authentication to authentication server. This will allow to securely transfer the LDAP credentials via HTTPS. Note that this is a change that must be planned and tested

- You can check the access.log and see if the office requests come with a different user-agent. If there is a user-agent that is special for those requests, skip authentication for them

Best,

Andre