1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 18, 2012 3:21 AM by Peacekeeper

need an explanation?

I have been using Mcafee for a few years now. Yesterday I had a shock when windows  action center stated that the computer was affected by 'TrojanDownloader:Win32/Adload.DA' and your computer needed attention. I naturally ran a virus scan and found out that Mcafee couldn't find anything wrong. So I searched on Bing and finally downloaded the free version of Malwarebyte,Anti-malware which found the virus and also found 2 worms and deleated them. NOW the problem is that I pay Mcafee for protecting many computers. I think they should improve their system or simply wake up.  

Message was edited by: nmakh on 12/18/12 1:08:11 AM CST
        • 1. Re: need an explanation?
          Peacekeeper

not every AV is 1005 reliable these detections could be recent and in the pipeline.. that read this

· ...from one of the lead developers of MalwareBytes (Bruce Harrison) :
          As far as why MBAMis very good at dealing thes types of infections, that is simple.MBAM is designed to be very good at dealing with malware that the AVs seem to be having problems with. I do not spend my time making MBAM detect millions of infections that any decent AV already detects as
          MBAM is DESIGNED to work alongside antivirus software, not replace it. A huge chunk of the research that goes into MBAM revolves around what we see making it into HJT threads as the vast majority of these threads involve antivirus software that was in some way bypassed.
          Lets settle this now and avoid any further misinformation. MBAM is now a very good backup to any antivirus software and will only get better in the future.MBAM will NEVER add antivirus abilities to its core app and is always advised to be used WITH antivirus software. We actually get this question a lot in the forums and I assure you that we always say :

"No, MBAM can't replace your existing antivirus software and is not designed to."

That said did you zip up and forward the files to Mcafee so they can catch up?

http://vil.nai.com/vil/submit-sample.aspx