4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2012 2:00 PM by ChrisU

MVT 7.0.0.2358 and windows 8 Pro 64 bit

uwe-dembski

In the last couple of days I ran MVT and got an update of it. What has happened to MVT?

1. No Desktop Icon any more after installing it new on Windows classical desktop.

2. No tile in the Windows 8 Start Menu any longer.

3. No possibility to make plans for daily oder weekly executions of MVT as in the old versions.

Is it no longer compatible to windows 8?

• 1. Re: MVT 7.0.0.2358 and windows 8 Pro 64 bit
          Peter M

Hi,

I just installed (but didn't run) the same version on mine and it shows on the Start Menu just fine.

Just search for MvtApp.exe in C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\Supportability\MVT then right-click it and Pin to Start.

Just don't ask me to run it though as I'm using McAfee Beta software and strange results could ensue.

• 2. Re: MVT 7.0.0.2358 and windows 8 Pro 64 bit
            uwe-dembski

Thank you for replying.

Last weekend I had the chance to use another computer. It was a laptop with Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit and Mcafee total protection installed.

Exactly the same issue:

No entries in start menu after updating and the possibility to schedule scans with MVT is no longer there. That is exactly what you have written above:

You didn´t run it. In the old version you was able to choose regularly scans for runingn the mvt before starting the scan.

On the laptop I found another issue with Site Advisor Live (the laptop has version 3.6.0.187 from 14.12.2012, mine is 3.5.0.229 from 21.11.2012): You have no longer the choice for standard search (google, yahoo, etc.). You must use "Yahoo search".

Seems McAfee is reducing more and more components...

• 3. Re: MVT 7.0.0.2358 and windows 8 Pro 64 bit
              Peter M

Yes compact view has vanished from SA 3.6.0.187 and the search option has changed and I have contacted thme about it.  An oversight I hope.

I wasn't aware of any scheduling possibility with MVT.  It is merely meant a sa troubleshoorting tool when there are problems and should be updated every time you use it.

MVT is always listed under the general McAfdee header in my start menu.

I suggest you check for malware using Stinger and Malwarebytes Frr both linked in my signature below, last link.

If problems continue contact Technical Support, it's free and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

• 4. Re: MVT 7.0.0.2358 and windows 8 Pro 64 bit
                ChrisU

Hi uwe-dembski,

I'm the Product Manager for MVT, and I want to address each of your questions directly, in addition to what Ex_Brit has already provided.

To start, MVT is compatible and supported on Windows 8.

1. The desktop icon was removed from this version of MVT based on user feedback. You can still access MVT under the McAfee directory on the Start Menu, or by going to http://service.mcafee.com and clicking on McAfee Virtual Technician under the Technical Support site.

2. I asked our QA group to look into this, and unfortunately there appears to be a rare defect that causes this tile to not be present after an upgrade. However, just like Ex_Brit called out, there is an easy workaround to search for MvtApp.exe in C:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\Supportability\MVT then right-click it and Pin to Start.

3. The scheduled tasks functionality was removed from this version of MVT based on usage patterns. We found that only a very small percentage of our customers were running MVT on a scheduled basis. Predominately users run MVT at the time of an issue occuring, or when they are contacting Technical Support.

Feedback from users like yourself is very much appreciated. Feel free to let me know if you see anything else.