4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2012 9:07 AM by jeffmagill

What are the return codes for command-line VirusScan Enterprise

I am building a website that allows people to upload files to the server. Upon upload, I want to call the command line version of VirusScan Enterprise (which is already on the server) to check the file immediately. I tried searching the knowledge base and documentation but I couldnt find anything information to help out. What are the return codes for the command line client of VirusScan Enterprise?

Thanks, Jeff

• 1. Re: What are the return codes for command-line VirusScan Enterprise

I should probably include the version number, eh? I'm using VirusScan 8.8 patch 2.

• 2. Re: What are the return codes for command-line VirusScan Enterprise
            strongy

Documentation is found in the "Documentation" section when downloading the Command line scanner from McAfee.

But here are the return codes

0 The scanner found no viruses or other potentially unwanted software, and returned no errors.

2 Integrity check on DAT file failed.

6 A general problem occurred.

8 The scanner was unable to find a DAT file.

10 A virus was found in memory.

12 The scanner tried to clean a file, the attempt failed, and the file is still infected.

13 The scanner found one or more viruses or hostile objects — such as a Trojan-horse program, joke program, or test file.

15 The scanner’s self-check failed; the scanner may be infected or damaged.

19 The scanner succeeded in cleaning all infected files.

20 Scanning was prevented because of the /FREQUENCY option.

21 Computer requires a reboot to clean the infection.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: What are the return codes for command-line VirusScan Enterprise
              rmetzger

strongy wrote:

Documentation is found in the "Documentation" section when downloading the Command line scanner from McAfee.

But here are the return codes

0 The scanner found no viruses or other potentially unwanted software, and returned no errors.

2 Integrity check on DAT file failed.

6 A general problem occurred.

8 The scanner was unable to find a DAT file.

10 A virus was found in memory.

12 The scanner tried to clean a file, the attempt failed, and the file is still infected.

13 The scanner found one or more viruses or hostile objects — such as a Trojan-horse program, joke program, or test file.

15 The scanner’s self-check failed; the scanner may be infected or damaged.

19 The scanner succeeded in cleaning all infected files.

20 Scanning was prevented because of the /FREQUENCY option.

21 Computer requires a reboot to clean the infection.

Need to add:

102            The user quit via ESC-X, ^C or EXIT button.            This feature can be disabled with the /NOBREAK option.

However, these ErrorLevel return codes refer to "VirusScan Command Line Scanner 6.0.3" and not "VirusScan (Enterprise) v8.8 patch 2." I have not found any documentation that states VSE Scan32.exe (or Scan64.exe) return codes. If you found this I would be interested in the link.

If these exit codes are referring to VSE scan32.exe please post back and let us all know.

If you are already running VSE v8.8 on the server, unless you are specifically excluding the upload directory, the On-Access Scanner (OAS) should already be checking the files uploaded. Running the Command Line scan is a duplicate scan, which I would assume have limited value. I guess you could be checking the uploaded files using a different scanning rules than the OAS rules.

If you are using a differenet real-time active AV package, and you are using the command line process as a second check, be careful to avoid deadlocks between the two packages.

For performance reasons, make sure you convert the AVV signature files to the runtime.dat versions (daily upon .dat updates) using this command:

"Scan" /DECOMPRESS

Hopefully this is helpful. Post back with any comments.

Ron Metzger

• 4. Re: What are the return codes for command-line VirusScan Enterprise

Ron, based on my inability to find any documentation on return codes for VSE, I thought that might be the case that there weren't return codes (or else no documented return codes). I guess the next step is to evaulate the likelyhood of using the command line scanner.

Thank you Ron and strongy for this information. It is very helpful!