6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2013 10:08 AM by Peter M

mcafee problem leading to computer stall

help me ,

i have a 6 month old acer laptop and just yesterday mcafee said my computer was at risk

i then ran a full scan but an error occured and then i updated mcafee and stillerrors occur in scan

my laptop also stalls when mcafee is on

• 1. Re: mcafee problem leading to computer stall
          Peter M

You don't give any details.  Is your computer totally up to date with Windows Updates, all of it including parts you may not use?

Is your system clock accurate both time and timezone-wise?

Have you had any unusual popups appearing?

Try some of the tools in the last link in my signature below, Stinger and Malwarebytes Free would be good to start with.  Use them to check for malware.

Then run the Virtual Technician to see if it can fix McAfee http://mvt.mcafee.com/

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: mcafee problem leading to computer stall

yes everything is up to date

my clock is ok

the only weird popup i got was that mcafee said my computer was at rick because it couldnt update !!

since then i have read nearly every forum ,, mvt says that everything is ok ...i uninstalle and reinstalled mcafee and still mcafee cases my computer to freeze totally

i have done quick scans and it says im secure.............should i be worried ????

• 3. Re: mcafee problem leading to computer stall

oh ya ....and i also contacted a technition and she shared my screen but the scan was running which caused the compter to freeeze and she left me !!

• 4. Re: mcafee problem leading to computer stall
                Peter M

Well I would have turned the scan off at that stage, too late now, but you could try them again with scans turned off this time.

If McAfee is telling you it is protecting, and you are worried because when you manually tell it to look for updates and none arrive, don't worry.  It polls for updates about every 4 hours anyway, yet only updates once a day at the most.

What does it say for SecurityCenter and VirusScan in 'About'?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: mcafee problem leading to computer stall

im more worried that it wont scan because since i reinstalled it it has been updating fine.

everthing is up to date in security centre !!

it seems to stop scanning at 22240 files - 22258 files and then a message says"an unexpected error has ocured "

• 6. Re: mcafee problem leading to computer stall
                    Peter M

There may be corruption which can happen for lots of reasons, registry cleaners, malware, bad installation in the first place.

I would run the MVT http://mvt.mcafee.com/ to see if it fixes anything.

If not try uninstalling via Control Panel then run the MCPR cleanup tool listed under Useful Links at top of this page, reboot and reinstall from your online account.

If that fails to cure the situation contact Technical Support - it's free by phone or online chat and also linked under Useful Links.