Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
2942 Views 11 Replies Latest reply: Jan 10, 2013 4:02 PM by cgrim RSS 1 2 Previous Next
Community Leader 479 posts since
Nov 3, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 18, 2012 3:06 PM

Emerging FSUpdate Problem <resolved>

Multiple FSUpdate Failures have been reported:

FSL Script/Templates update in progress...

New package found (98,346,688 bytes)

File MD5 hash: F8E97F76E861E4A9CE1BF8EC4AE8DB3C

Verifying digital signature using CAPICOM.

Digital signature FAILED. The executable will not be run.

FSL, SCAP, Language Packages, etc. are failing with:

"Digital signature FAILED. The executable will not be run."

McAfee Engineering is investigating the issue, and this thread will be updated when the issue is resolved.

If you have any questions, please post here.

Thanks!
Cathy Grim

McAfee Tier3 Support

Message was edited by: cgrim on 12/18/12 3:06:55 PM CST
  • ustadie Newcomer 3 posts since
    Sep 27, 2011
    3. Dec 18, 2012 2:33 AM (in response to cgrim)
    Re: Emerging FSUpdate Problem

Hello Cathy,

could you please elaborate on the function of the "Digital Security Mode"?

I, as many of McAfee customers, am suffering from that FSUpdate problem. Before I disable a security item, I would prefer to know the consequences of such a move. I have also a service case open for this and asked the same question, but I do not get answers which is quite unsatisfying.

Looking forward to an answer,

Uli

• timome Newcomer 1 posts since
    Mar 11, 2011
    4. Dec 18, 2012 4:50 AM (in response to cgrim)

Hi Cathy,

any estimations how long it will take to fix the prob?

Reffering to the Post of Uli we also have not disabled "Digital Security Mode"!

We will do that, if :

- we're aware of the possible consequences <-- therefor we need to know them

- and if we are in the position to calculate the risk and decide to take it.

Regards

Timo

• jvalverd McAfee Employee 26 posts since
    Feb 19, 2010
    5. Dec 18, 2012 10:49 AM (in response to timome)

All Vulnerability Manager updates delivered through the FSUpdate utility are digitally signed. The digital signature is verified prior to any update package installation.

You can configure the Digital Security Mode for the utility as follows:

• Automatic - the utility checks the digital signature automatically. If the update fails, for any reason, no update is applied.

• Interactive - the user currently logged in receives a prompt to verify the content as safe or not. This setting requires the user to manually accept each download.

• Disabled - FSUpdate does not check if the digital signature is valid or not.

Another workaround is to login to update.foundstone.com and manually download and apply the package.  Instructions on how to do so can be found in KB58796.  https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB58796

We also publish a list of released checks at http://www.mcafee.com/us/content-release-notes/foundstone/index.aspx by date.  In the meantime another option would be to evaluate the released checks for risk in your environment and choose to apply the package or not based on the risk. 

• ustadie Newcomer 3 posts since
    Sep 27, 2011
    7. Dec 19, 2012 2:11 AM (in response to cgrim)

Thank you for solving this issue.

Just adding some information:

As the patch KB931125 is a rolling patch, it is not listed in Add/Remove Programs.

And if downloaded and installed manually you get no indication if it has been installed successfully.

To check if it is installed, you have to look in the registry in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{EF289A85-8E57-408d-BE47-73B55609861A}.

The reported version VERSION='37,0,2195,0' is the current December update of this patch (and with this version, the updates succeed (tested with the latest FSL Content Update 12/18)).

With the previous version (reported as VERSION='36,0,2195,0') the update does not succeed.

Cheers,

Uli

• itagsupport Apprentice 77 posts since
    Aug 27, 2010
    8. Dec 19, 2012 9:40 AM (in response to cgrim)

Hi,

i have a MVM3100 Appliancewith Win2008 R2 Standard SP (installed with the shipped installation cd)

Software Version 7.5.1. Appliance can connect to sus-update.foundstone.com.

But if i execute the command wuauclt /DetectNow nothing happens, and ic ant see the mentioned Registry-key in the registry.

I thought the appliance itself automatically checks for updates and installs them itself.

Whats wrong?

kind regards

Patrick

• madison McAfee SME 3 posts since
    Oct 4, 2011
    9. Dec 19, 2012 7:15 PM (in response to itagsupport)

From Cathy's description of the problem it seems that this only affected Appliances running the Windows 2003 image. If you are having issues with connecting to sus-update.foundstone.com you may want to troubleshoot that as a general network issue on your end and if you are not successful contact McAfee Technical Support for further assistance

cgrim wrote:

We've been able to pinpoint the problem down to the certificate that we sign the MVM update packages with not existing on the Windows 2003 Servers.

1 2 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)