8 Replies Latest reply: Dec 14, 2012 11:06 AM by chad.juliano RSS

Lenovo BIOS update wiped out McAfee firmware.

chad.juliano

I just installed a BIOS update from the Lenovo auto update utility. After I rebooted I got an error message "missing operating system". I am assuming that the update wiped out the firmware that is able to decrypt the disk. Since my drive is encrypted I can't simply run the windows repair disk. How do I recover from something like this?

My company (Oracle) mandated that I use this software but I have always been concerned about my ability to recover my data if McAfee did not work. Now my fears have come true and I can't access my data. I think I need some utility that will restore the BIOS firmware so I can decrypt my drive. Some gogle searches have not pointed me to anything. Please assist.

Thanks,

Chad.

• 1. Re: Lenovo BIOS update wiped out McAfee firmware.
          dwebb

Hi Chad, sorry to hear about your problem.

What it looks like is that Lenovo have gone and re-installed the Windows MBR onto your disk as part of their update, something that they should not be doing as it has destroyed the EEPC MBR required to boot your system.

It is relatively painless to resolve this issue - please contact your IT support team and ask them to organise an "emergency boot" of your system.  This will allow the system to boot into Windows, and then EEPC will repair the damage that Lenovo has done.  You should not have to decrypt your system if my assumption about the issue is correct.

I would also recommend that you escalate this issue to Lenovo - they should not be assuming anything about the nature of the MBR on the systems that they are updating, since in an enterprise the MBR may have been modified for disk encrption or other purposes (like running Linux etc.).

HTH

• 2. Re: Lenovo BIOS update wiped out McAfee firmware.
            dwebb

Can I just also emphasise that this does not appear to be a problem with EEPC; rather it is a problem with the Lenovo update, one that should be possible to recover easily from with the powerful remediation tools that we provide to deal with this kind of unfortunate scenario.

• 3. Re: Lenovo BIOS update wiped out McAfee firmware.
              chad.juliano

Thanks for your prompt response. I assumed the problem was with BIOS firmware but I did not realize that the update may have also modified my disk. 

I work remotely and since I can't boot my laptop I am unable to access my corporate VPN. Is there somewhere I can download a utility that will restore the MBR?

• 4. Re: Lenovo BIOS update wiped out McAfee firmware.
                SafeBoot

You need the assistance of your IT department - only they have the encryption keys for your machine, so even if you downloaded the tools, they would be no help.

Best to work with your own IT team - they have the tools, key and expertise to help you.

• 5. Re: Lenovo BIOS update wiped out McAfee firmware.
                  chad.juliano

I tweaked a few BIOS settings and now my system boots. I am not exactly sure of the cause but I will say there are a number of things in the BIOS that could have caused it.

First, there is the Lenovo RapidBoot which they aggressively advertize will speed up your boot time but there are few details about how it works which makes troubleshooting difficult. Second, there is a network boot extension that was enabled and could have also caused a problem.

I can't wait until I can start using UEFI because it should make firmware boot configuration easier to manage.

• 6. Re: Lenovo BIOS update wiped out McAfee firmware.
                    dwebb

Glad you're up and running again.

• 7. Re: Lenovo BIOS update wiped out McAfee firmware.
                      dwebb

One more thing, would you mind detailing the settings you changed?  It may prove useful for our support folks if other users have the same problem we can ask them to try the steps you performed to resolve the issue.

Many thanks.

• 8. Re: Lenovo BIOS update wiped out McAfee firmware.
                        chad.juliano

I disabled the network boot BIOS extension and changed the boot disk priority so that my hard drive was first.