Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
1704 Views 8 Replies Latest reply: Jan 8, 2013 8:27 PM by romardy RSS
romardy Apprentice 116 posts since
Sep 26, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 12, 2012 12:53 AM

DLP 9.2 USB Resctriction

Hi,

Anyone knows how to make broadband modem detected when USB restriction is active? It always appear as CD drive on My Computer and when starting broadband application, unable to connect due to MODEM not detected.

• reduakari Newcomer 26 posts since
    Oct 12, 2011
    1. Jan 1, 2013 9:33 PM (in response to romardy)
    Re: DLP 9.2 USB Resctriction

Possible to the set a allow rules on USB BB Modem with the unique serial number which is on the device. This list of device will be allow to be plug in.

Control can be specific person for the rule but your rules of the device control will increase. (while my storage removable devices will still be block on default as USB BB Modem has a storage(sd card) and a cd rom drive)

So far i have not encounter any similar serial numbers yet.

Oct 12, 2011
    3. Jan 2, 2013 12:02 AM (in response to romardy)

HI,

I do had that issue at first with this rule added, both OS should work fine. And i do had huge number of staff working on that company.

You may try using device type/ID too, a much generic type. i think it is unique too.

If you are looking for the generic rules especially you do not have much restriction (like mine) maybe you can use the device name to allow all. But do note some brands which are too generic will make other device type suffer (Eg Samsung can be represented as Harddisk, Mobile phones, Music player, BB Modem etc)

On Better control, my suggested way is the most effective method by far.

Hassle is always there, especially maintain and remove of devices from the list. It will depends what extend of control you are looking in deep.

Or lastly get help from McAfee. Don't waste your support $$. Log Call and get local support help asking your Acct Mgr which handles your account. I still think they will do the same things like mine thou.

Oct 12, 2011
    6. Jan 6, 2013 8:33 PM (in response to romardy)

From what I experience it. Sometime these devices detected differently due to the the possible of Plug & Play information from the different OS.

It is more of which OS take the the Plug & Play Rules while another take Removeable Storage Device Control Rules. Which i notice so far.

Not sure you get what i mean. you do more detail testing you will know why, It took me 3months to know what is happening how different OS detect and react differently. (I did not go for any course)

• smartkiran Newcomer 7 posts since
    Jun 15, 2009
    7. Jan 8, 2013 8:09 AM (in response to romardy)

Under "Device Definition", Add a rule to exclude the "Device/Product ID and the Vendor ID" of the Modem that you are using. This will exclude the modem from getting blocked.

USBDeview tool can provide you info on device/product ID and Vendor ID.

I have done this to exclude our USB Modem Data Cards.

Message was edited by: smartkiran on 1/8/13 7:09:58 PM GMT+05:00

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points