3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 11, 2012 12:22 PM by SafeBoot

Endpoint Encryption broken by Windows 8

Hi all, hopefully you can help me with an issue I've just created.

I have a company laptop where Windows 7 is installed with Endpoint Encryption. I connected an external drive (eSATA, if it matters) and installed Windows 8 on the external drive. Now I am unable to boot from the internal drive. Even when the external drive is disconnected the Windows 8 boot manager appears saying that there is an issue (obviously) but does not provide any way to boot to the internal drive.

To recap:

Laptop with Windows 7 and Endpoint Encryption on the internal drive

Installed Windows 8 to external drive

Can no longer boot to internal drive, Windows 8 boot manager appears even when external is disconnected

Questions:

Can I get back to the internal drive without IT intervention? Restoring from backups is a pain and I'd rather not deal with a bunch of questions/nagging.

Why the flying **** is Windows 8 overwriting the boot sector on my INTERNAL drive when I explicitly installed it to the external only?

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Endpoint Encryption broken by Windows 8

It's updating the boot sector because you installed a new bootable OS - there was no other way it was going to be able to start.

When you install an operating system, it always touches the boot sector of the bootable media no matter where you install it - every OS has done this.

As for how to recover, no you're not going to be able to without help from your IT department as Windows 8 has removed the EEPC boot loader.

• 2. Re: Endpoint Encryption broken by Windows 8

Got it, thanks. In that case, how could I dual boot? Is it even possible?

What if I disconnected the internal drive, installed Windows 8 on the external drive, then reconnected the internal? Would that leave my machine in a state where both drives were bootable but unaware of each other?

Thanks again.

• 3. Re: Endpoint Encryption broken by Windows 8

yes it's possible with the support of your IT team - but it's not trivial to set up. Your machine is encrypted to protect the data on it, by using another OS you're probably breaking your company data protection rules.

If you did as you suggest, you'd be able to boot whichever drive was plugged in. If you had them both plugged in though, most likely the internal drive would boot as it (usually) has a lower ID.