5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2012 7:58 AM by exbrit

Turn off McAfee

Hello all,

I've been browsing the internet for a couple of days now, but I can't seem to find a solution. I hope that maybe one of you can help me?

Having recently bought a new laptop, I have a McAfee 11.6 trial version on my computer, but now it has expired. I've found another program and in order to get rid of McAfee's constant reminders that I need to renew my subscription, I decided to delete the program. However, after doing this, my sidebar stopped working, so I performed a system recovery, which solved the problem, but left me with the pop ups. I am now looking for a way to turn off McAfee permanently without uninstalling, since the program seems to start up automatically even when it's no longer a startup program.

I'd like to know if it's somehow possible or is it absolutely necessary that I delete the program?

Oh, some extra information: McAfee's control panel kind of 'froze' and doesn't allow me to make any changes until I renew my subscription. It can't possibly be that I need to pay to turn off a program?

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Turn off McAfee
          exbrit

Did you try a regular uninstallation via Control Panel followed by the MCPR cleanup tool?   You can always restore the sidebar later using an sfc /scannow for instance.   If it's disabled by the software removal then there was something wrong to start with.

You can turn off the antivirus and firewall components but you'll still be bugged to buy the product I'm afraid as that can't be turned off.

What operating system and service pack is this?  With that info I could research repairing the sidebar.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 08/12/12 10:42:25 EST AM
          • 2. Re: Turn off McAfee

I just did a regular uninstallation, without MCPR cleanup tool. Do you think that's necessary as well?

As for the sidebar, at the risk of sounding like a complete layman: I don't really know what an sfc/ scannow is..

My operating system is Windows 7 Home Premium and it came with Service Pack 1.
            Thank you for being willing to look into it!

• 3. Re: Turn off McAfee
              exbrit

It should be OK.  If you install other software and it detects McAfee still then post back and we'll go from there.

The sfc or System File Checker is a useful tool to repair an installation when something malfunctions.

There a tutorial here with more useful links at the bottom:  http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/1538-sfc-scannow-command-system-file-checke r.html

A good way of avoiding having to use it is to never use registry cleaners, be careful where you surf and what you download to avoid infection and keep Windows totally up to date, all of it.

• 4. Re: Turn off McAfee

I uninstalled Mcafee again, but this time I didn't tick the option of deleting all files and now it seems to work properly. I don't get any pop ups anymore and my sidebar is still working, so it seems that my problem is fixed.
                Thanks anyway

Message was edited by: Spunky on 12/9/12 7:46:26 AM CST
                • 5. Re: Turn off McAfee
                  exbrit

That's good.  I'm now wondering if perhaps it had quarantined part of the sidebar for some reason.  I guess we'll never know.