Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
7784 Views 32 Replies Latest reply: Feb 28, 2013 12:45 AM by sarlane RSS 1 2 3 4 Previous Next
dopauls Newcomer 15 posts since
Nov 27, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 5, 2012 9:23 PM

Same Problems as others are having

Good evening,

I am having the same problems as apparently a lot of other people are having.

About a month or so ago, there was a Windows Critical update.  My McAfee prescription, current through March of next year, also updated around then.

From my relatively new (less than a year) old Windows 7 machine, I could no longer get access to internet, even though every other computer in the house could.  Just this computer.

I used a System Restore to go back to a point prior to the Windows or McAfee Update and viola, I got internet back, but then lost it each time Windows update installed patches.

Tried shutting off all updates.  No luck, updates still happend.

Tried uninstalling and reinstalling McAfee.  Would not work.

Contacted McAfee On-Line Help.  Had one of the technicians (IMU) take control of my computer.  Tinkered with a few things.  Case file 484570-984387227.  Told me to reboot, reinstall McAfee from my on-line account and I would be all set.

Did that.  No such luck.  Score now Virus 1, McAfee Support 0.

Did some more on-line research.  Could not reinstall.  Was told to try the Virtual Technician.  It could not find or fix the problem.  The hyperlink on Virtual Technician which would have me re-install the software, was dead.

Score now Virus 2, McAfee Support 0.

Went on-line again.  Got a different technician (Sijish P.S.).  Again took control of my computer.  tinkered with some stuff, mostly chkdsk.  Was told it was not a McAfee problem and I would have to contact Dell, but no indication of why.  This was under

service request number 484570-984387227.

Score now Virus 3, McAfee Support 0. 

So, what next?  What virus has embedded itself in my system such that McAfee cannot reinstall itself.  I have tried both of the McAfee removal tools (1 and 2).  No luck.

I am awful nervous using this machine without virus protection.

1 2 3 4 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (1)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points