Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
968 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Dec 6, 2012 10:07 AM by PhilM RSS
daveferrier Newcomer 2 posts since
Aug 22, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Dec 5, 2012 3:50 PM

Admin Console Crashed

My wintel server I use to support my firewalls has crashed.  I need to reinstall the admin console for Sidewinder G2 v6 firewalls on a different device.  Are there any issues I may have? 

will I need to re-license?  Are there specific steps documented to do this task?

• Ex_Brit Volunteer Moderator 59,592 posts since
    May 6, 2004
    1. Dec 5, 2012 4:40 PM (in response to daveferrier)
    Re: Admin Console Crashed

Moved from Consumer to Business > Firewall Enterprise (Sidewinder) for better attention.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 05/12/12 5:40:41 EST PM

https://community.mcafee.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-143933-5189/78-49/Peter.gif
    Toronto • Canada
    Volunteer Moderator
    I can't help you privately - please post in the Forums
    Use Advanced Forum Search To Find Answers
    Beta Test McAfee Products For PC & MAC
    How To Fix File Associations in Windows
    XP & Office 2003 End-Of-Life - 08 April, 2014
    Anti-Spyware/Malware & Hijacker Tools
  • PhilM Champion 528 posts since
    Jan 7, 2010
    2. Dec 6, 2012 3:32 AM (in response to daveferrier)

As long as you still have a copy of the Admin Console CD (as Sidewinder G2 went end-of-life almost 3 years ago, I'm not sure if the Admin Console image is available for download any more), you should be able to install it on any Windows 2000 or XP machine.

The Admin Console itself has no license, so you can install it as many times as you wish, wherever you want.

Any issues you are likely to have will be with Vista and Windows 7 (aside from it not being officially supported, from what I can recall). The introduction of user access control security meant that once you installed the admin console and tried to connect to the Firewall, if there were outstanding admin console patches to install the automated installation process would not work. In some cases, when helping my own customers, I found that disabling UAC for the duration of the exercise did allow this upgrade process to work - but not in each case (I don't know why).

You could get around this by copying the AC3xxx.exe files from the /var/spool/ACpackages directory on the Firewall and then run each executable by hand on the new machine to bring the admin console in line with the version of Firewall software running on the appliance. It will work, as I still have a functioning copy of the G2 Admin Console running on my Windows 7 PC.

Hope that helps.

-Phil.

• PhilM Champion 528 posts since
    Jan 7, 2010
    4. Dec 6, 2012 10:07 AM (in response to daveferrier)

No problem.

If you mark the post as being correct or helpful - depending on how useful you feel it to be, it will help anyone else wishing to pose a similar question when they search this forum.

-Phil.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points