1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 5, 2012 1:11 PM by Peter M

e-mail scam detection

oneputt

Today, for the second time in a few months, some friends who are on my e-mail contacts list notified me that they had received e-mails, proportedly from me, suggesting that they open an attachment to take advantage of some great special offer.  I, of course, had nothing to do with it and my friends were wise enough to recognize it as a scam.  I then did two things: I changed my e-mail password and I did a full McAfee scan on both of my computers.  Both scans came back perfectly clean.  My question is, should they have?  Shouldn't they have told me that something nefarious had been detected and dealt with?  I hate having my friends annoyed by such intrusions and would like to think I'm able to deal with them before they get out. Any thoughts?  Thanks.

• 1. Re: e-mail scam detection
          Peter M

I moved this to Malware Discussion just in case.   Check your sent mail boxes and if nothing in there then it wasn't you.

There are certain worms that infect Windows and can spoof email addresses for the sender from someone else's address book as spam emails.  It could have originated on any machine belonging to someone who has your email address.

I've had this happen and been blamed similarly to you but the emails never went out from my machine.     Run Stinger and Malwarebytes Free, both linked in the last item in my signature below and suggest to any friends they do the same.

So yes, it's normal for the scans to turn up nothing on the clean machines, but someone, somewhere has a problem.   In my experience it's usually a commercial enterprise somewhere.  In my last case it turned out that Amazon.ca client email base had been hacked.

They eventually realised that and notified all customers to change their passwords.