3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 8, 2012 1:31 PM by Peter M

Total Protection 2012

For the past couple of weeks I my McAfee Total Protection has said that there is an update that is ready to install and that it may take a reboot once it is completed.  What would cause this?  To the best of my knowledge I do not have any viruses.  I install the update every time and it never takes a reboot.  I have Microsoft Windows XP, Version 2002, Service Pack 3.

• 1. Re: Total Protection 2012
          Peter M

It's just a warning as some updates do require a reboot - usually the ones that upgrade the software to a newer version.    If it's bothering you Technical Support can help, it's free by phone or online chat and available by clicking the link Under Useful Links at the top of this page (or the McAfee Support button, or even right-clicking your taskbar icon).

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 05/12/12 7:30:10 EST AM
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Total Protection 2012

FYI - The messages that I am getting 2 and 3 times a day are update requests.  They are not just 'Alerts' telling me that an update is available, I am actually performing the update, again 2 and 3 times a day. 

At the suggestion of Ex_Brit, I went to Useful Links looking for a telephone number to contact someone for some additional feedback.  I stumbled across the McAfee Virtual Technician and fired it off.  I did find two registry problems and I "Fixed All".  It has only been an hour or so but I think I am gonna reboot and see what happens.  I am optimistic that my problems are solved.  For the past several years I have been very satisfied with McAfee. 

• 3. Re: Total Protection 2012
              Peter M

That shouldn't happen.  Let's hope the MVT fixed it, otherwise Tech Support is your best option.