6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2012 11:18 AM by Tristan

How Long Does the "Update Security" Task Run?

For VSE 8.8 (patch 2), when a person clicks on the "Update Security" task, how long could this task potentially run?

Is there an automated timeout period built into this some where?

UpdateSecurity.JPG

Also - is there any way to stop this task from an administrative side if a user clicks on this at a low bandwidth site? Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: How Long Does the "Update Security" Task Run?
          Tristan

Depends on how out of date the DATs are on the particular system

If the DAT is within 30 releases of the current DAT on the ePO server then the update task will download the incremental GEM updates, which lately have been averaging around 400Kb to 500Kb each.

So for example the current DAT is 6909. If your client is 6900 then there are 9 incremental DATs to download so thats say roughy 5Mb.

Now if your more than 30 DATs out then the update will download the avvdat-6909.zip which weights in around 115Mb at the moment (obviously it slowly grows as more DATs are released).

With these estimated filesizes you should be able to calculate download times.

The problem with this task is that it runs the 'AutoUpdate' task in the VSE console which your not able to manage via any ePO policies all you can do is disable the schedule but the menu option overrides that.

You could manauly edit the task to time-out after a number of minutes but that's not going to stop the low bandwidth link being saturated with the download. But this solution does not quite work if your managing 1000s of clients

Message was edited by: Tristan on 28/11/12 16:50:56 GMT

Message was edited by: Tristan on 28/11/12 16:52:39 GMT
          • 2. Re: How Long Does the "Update Security" Task Run?
            Tristan

If your looking at a way of managing DAT bandwidth usage to low bandwidth sites and your ePO server is on Windows 2008/2008r2 then the policy based QoS bandwidth management you have within group policy is a possible solution.

You can specify the total amount of bandwidth the server will 'serve' to a specific IP range/subnet/protocol/port range.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc771283.aspx

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd919203(v=ws.10).aspx

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: How Long Does the "Update Security" Task Run?

Thanks for the reply, Tristan. Here is the situation I am in:

Tristan wrote:

Depends on how out of date the DATs are on the particular system

These systems are more than 30 DATS out of date, so all of these systems are attempted to download the 115Mb SuperDAT file. Also - I think this number is actually much less than 30 releases, I believe it is 10 releases.

With these estimated filesizes you should be able to calculate download times.

Say I have 5 systems at a low bandwidth site attempting to download 115Mb SuperDAT file. How can I used that file size to determine how long the download would take?

You could manauly edit the task to time-out after a number of minutes but that's not going to stop the low bandwidth link being saturated with the download. But this solution does not quite work if your managing 1000s of clients.

I am managing thousands of clients, so this would get very messy indeed.

I think I may need to look further into why these systems were so out of date in the first place. I had a couple remote sites that are all stuck on the same DAT file from 11/2/2012. I have not been able to confirm yet, but I suspect the computers at these different sites were turned off for some period of time. I may just look into using Robocopy as a temporary fix to get them up-to-date for now.

• 4. Re: How Long Does the "Update Security" Task Run?

My ePO server does sit on a Win 2008 R2 box. I will have to look into this QoS thing.

• 5. Re: How Long Does the "Update Security" Task Run?
                  Tristan

Another option would be to look at distributed repositories for these site.

As long as there's a server or PC that is on all night then you could replicate the DATs to this repository out of hours when the network hit would not be noticed.

Clients would then only get their DATs from the local repository at LAN speeds rather than WAN speeds.

SuperAgents might also be an option but i don't use them so can't comment

• 6. Re: How Long Does the "Update Security" Task Run?
                    Tristan

We're both wrong. Just checked and the actual amount of incremental updates (GEMs) is 35.

Have a look in

c:\Program Files (x86)\McAfee\ePolicy Orchestrator\DB\Software\Current\VSCANDAT1000\DAT\0000

on your ePO server for the DATs hosted on your Master Repository