Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
626 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Nov 28, 2012 5:37 AM by PhilM RSS
Arshad Apprentice 64 posts since
Nov 19, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 28, 2012 4:35 AM

Multiple A record entries in DNS

In my  McAFEE Sidewinder ver 8.2.1 , if i want to configure more than one entries for one domain name . HOw it is possible ? Like I have one A record against a domain , I want that another IP should also be pointing towards that same domain then how should I enter multiple entries ? I think I will edit /etc/namedb.u . What will be syntax ?

• PhilM Champion 528 posts since
    Jan 7, 2010
    Currently Being Moderated
    1. Nov 28, 2012 5:37 AM (in response to Arshad)
    Re: Multiple A record entries in DNS

I'm not 100% sure what you are asking, can you provide an example?

If what you want to do is to be able have the same hostname resolve to more than one IP address (to have round-robin resolution of that hostname) there was a trick in older versions of the product which allowed you to continue using the GUI.

While dns records themselves are not case sensitive, the GUI does allow you to cheat by creating different A records, but simply change the case of the hostname. Having created an A record for hostname.acme.com, if you try and add another A record for hostname.acme.com the GUI will treat this as a duplicate and won't allow you to save it. But, if you change the case of just one character, this seems to be enough to fool the GUI into accepting it.

In other words, you can create the following entries using the GUI and it will treat them as separate hosts:-

hostname.acme.com - A - 1.1.1.1

Hostname.acme.com - A - 1.1.1.2

HostName.acme.com - A - 1.1.1.3

But, when the DNS server is queried for hostname.acme.com it will then treat all 3 A records equally to provide you with the round-robin DNS resolution for that hostname.

Hope that helps.

-Phil.

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points