4 Replies Latest reply: Dec 14, 2012 7:08 AM by epository RSS

VSE Installed but McShield Service won't start, uninstall/repair/reinstall not working

epository

We have several hundred machines in our network that are showing VSE not installed.

The VSE folder exists on the computers and all of the files, but the McSheld service will not start up.

Furthermore, VSE cannot be uninstalled, repaired, or reinstalled because it errors out with a few different errors or just bombs.

We are using VSE 8.8 Patch 1.  I created a client task to push superdat, patches and hotfixes, and engine for VSE out to these machines, but our numbers have not decreased.

Remoting into these machines show the VSE folder is alive and well, but attempting to start the McShield service is unsuccessful.

Anyone else seeing this?

• 1. Re: VSE Installed but McShield Service won't start, uninstall/repair/reinstall not working
          pato

Which DAT file have those machines?

Does the event viewer logfile show any errors when starting the service?

This could also be caused by a virus, you might want to check one or two machines with an alternate AV-Scanner.

• 2. Re: VSE Installed but McShield Service won't start, uninstall/repair/reinstall not working
            epository

Some of the weird things.....

C:\Program Files\Common Files\ Mcafee\SystemCore folder is nearly empty

Uninstalling to Repairing the program spits out Error 1718 - the code is not signed, or another install error saying that Internet Explorer 5.0 or above is required.

msiexec logs show the installer looking for mytilus.dll...

There is no Mcafee McShield service running.  The AV shield shows up in the System Tray until the point you hover over it, then it disappears.

Uninstalls, reinstalls, repairs all fail before completing.

Tried copying over all the VSCore files over and even a folder starting with {CE15D1B6....etc} into the C:\Window\Temp folder.

Anyhow, this is affecting tons of machines and we are looking at having to reimage all of them becuase McAfee cant be removed and cant be repaired.

• 3. Re: VSE Installed but McShield Service won't start, uninstall/repair/reinstall not working
              Tristan

You could try an uninstall and then run the windows Installer Cleanup utility (also known as MSICUU2.EXE) to remove any Macafee related install info from the registry.

Then try a re-install.

The application has been discontinued by Microsoft but it's probably possible to pick a copy from somewhere on the internet.

...I should look before i type, just found this on a technet site.

http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/MSI-cleanup-utility-3889c8db

• 4. Re: VSE Installed but McShield Service won't start, uninstall/repair/reinstall not working
                epository

Opened up a ticket with McAfee....but of course havent heard anything yet.

so, anyway, we seem to have tracked down the issue to permissions.

Running teh VSE .msi while debugging to a log file showed 1603 errors and also something pointing to mytilus3.dll.

Decided to open the cmd.exe as the Local Administrator rather than my Domain Admin account.......and success.

Now, I just need to find a way to force a repair to run with Local Admin authority on all boxes.

something like:....but needs to be run a Local Adminstrator.

taskill /IM mctray.exe

taskill/IM explorer.exe

msiexec /fuap vse.msi /qn

mcupdate /update /quiet

cmdagent.exe /p/e/c

Note: I found the VSE.msi renamed as cd039.msi under C:\Windows\Installer folder.

Message was edited by: epository on 12/14/12 7:08:18 AM CST