Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
2797 Views 4 Replies Latest reply: Dec 5, 2012 7:56 AM by epository RSS
epository Apprentice 84 posts since
Jan 23, 2010
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 28, 2012 3:05 AM

VSE Installed but McShield Service won't start, uninstall/repair/reinstall not working

We have several hundred machines in our network that are showing VSE not installed.

The VSE folder exists on the computers and all of the files, but the McSheld service will not start up.

Furthermore, VSE cannot be uninstalled, repaired, or reinstalled because it errors out with a few different errors or just bombs.

We are using VSE 8.8 Patch 1.  I created a client task to push superdat, patches and hotfixes, and engine for VSE out to these machines, but our numbers have not decreased.

Remoting into these machines show the VSE folder is alive and well, but attempting to start the McShield service is unsuccessful.

Anyone else seeing this?

• pato Apprentice 107 posts since
    Apr 1, 2010

Which DAT file have those machines?

Does the event viewer logfile show any errors when starting the service?

This could also be caused by a virus, you might want to check one or two machines with an alternate AV-Scanner.

• Tristan Veteran 790 posts since
    Dec 8, 2009

You could try an uninstall and then run the windows Installer Cleanup utility (also known as MSICUU2.EXE) to remove any Macafee related install info from the registry.

Then try a re-install.

The application has been discontinued by Microsoft but it's probably possible to pick a copy from somewhere on the internet.

...I should look before i type, just found this on a technet site.

http://gallery.technet.microsoft.com/MSI-cleanup-utility-3889c8db

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points