2 Replies Latest reply: Nov 25, 2012 6:54 PM by vfab RSS

Unable to download files after installing Family Protection

vfab

I have a Windows 7 machine with all critical/important Windows updates.  For some months I haven't been able to download files from the internet from this computer.  Downloads will proceed normally until about 98% and then they just stop.  If I pause the download and resume it will sometimes complete, but the downloaded file will be corrupt.  I've run several different virus scans thinking I must have a virus, but all say it's clean.  Family Protection works fine on my other Windows 7 machine, and also on a laptop with Vista. 

I finally I decided to completely reinstall the machine to learn if it was a hardware or software issue.  After reinstalling Windows 7 I could download just fine.  I continued to install applications one by one, each time checking whether I could download.  It is after installing Family Protection that I can no longer download files.  Exact same symptom: download stops at around 98% complete.

The only non-Windows software I have installed on the machine is Firefox and Norton 360, so there's not much room for conflict.

Anyone else experience this issue?  Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Unable to download files after installing Family Protection
          Hayton

Can I clarify something? Norton 360 is your main antivirus protection but you've also installed McAfee Family Protection - and no other McAfee product (no firewall, real-time scanning, or anything else).

Family Protection - 2012 or 2013 edition?

Firefox - which version?

Check in the list of Firefox extensions and plug-ins for McAfee products. Which ones are there?

Message was edited by: Hayton on 26/11/12 00:09:06 GMT
          • 2. Re: Unable to download files after installing Family Protection
            vfab

1. I've installed no McAfee product other than Family Protection.

2. Not sure about 2012 or 2013.  It's version 2.4.136.1, freshly downloaded off the internet.  Is there a better way to find out what version?  My other Windows 7 machine has version 2.3.027.0.  (Perhaps I'll try downloading that version.)

3. Firefox v17.0 -- the latest.

4. No Firefox add-ons, and only 2 extensions (Norton Toolbar and Norton Protection) but they're both disabled.

It's a pretty bare-bones machine at this point.

Hope that helps!