I just set up my McAfee profile, then I went to virtual technician and let it run it's process. It said everything was fine, but I am still receiving this message (copied below) and have been since 11/20/12 everytime I attempt to use Internet Explorer.
I am on a Windows 7, Internet Explorer 9 system.
Here is the message:
The specified resource language ID cannot be found in the image file.
McShiled:dll The system cannot find the file specified.
I don't have a lot of time to waste on this process. I am in school and have a paper due!
See if the solution here: https://community.mcafee.com/message/261355#261355 fixes it. If not it would be quickest to open a case with Technical Support, linked under Useful Links at the top of this page, it's free by phone or online chat.