1 2 Previous Next 10 Replies Latest reply: Nov 25, 2012 4:37 PM by Ex_Brit RSS

cannot update antivirus

cenul2010

I just bought sony vaio windows 8 with 1 month trial mcafee internet security. I already purchased 3 years subscription right after. verify subscription done. And now it cant install update automatically or manually. run virtual technician already, identified problem is dat out of date and still cannot install update.

I always fails to deal with help and support page.

• 1. Re: cannot update antivirus
          cenul2010

Mcafee.jpg

That;s what it says..

But it's not updating anythinMcafee01.jpg

Mcafee02.jpg

Result of virtual technician... it can't do anything about those 3 issues..

Message was edited by: cenul2010 on 23/11/12 15:01:18 CST
          • 2. Re: cannot update antivirus
            Ex_Brit

I believe that this may be caused by the fact that when the software is supplied via 3rd parties, in this case Sony, software upgrades are often delayed, and one is need to make the software comnpatible with Windows 8.

I suggest you contact Technical Support in this case via the linki under Useful Links at the top of this page to see what can be done.

Or, you can try uninstalling everything via Control Panel, running the MCPR cleanup tool also listed under Useful Links, rebooting and then re-downloading the software from the Australian servers which already have the newest version available.   You can alter the country by clicking the choivce at the top right of the account page.    I see your current one is from the British servers anyway so if you don't mind continuing with the English language interface, that could be the solution.

• 3. Re: cannot update antivirus
              cenul2010

I'm currently in france and I've been so frustrated trying the online help support.

On France page, chat is available on workdays - workhours. and email option can't be chosen.

On UK and US page, after I choose chat or email, I'm asked to fill in form about the problem but after I fill it and click next, it keep returning to that form page. It goes nowhere. Is this online  support suppose to be 24/7?

I don't understand, is it different mcafee if I purchase the license from UK or Australia?

I really try not to uninstall because it's always complicated with antivirus and further more I'm not familiar with windows 8.

• 4. Re: cannot update antivirus
                Ex_Brit

It's not complicated. I had to boot over into my Windows 8 to be sure of what I was telling you and, if you had the desktop set up like in other OS's it would be easy, however it still is easy enough.   Just hover in the bottom right corner of the screen to bring up the charms menu and click Settings then up top Control Panel.  Go to Programs in the normal way and uninstall the software.   If you like you could have already saved the setup file from your account to your desktop app where you can then run it after making sure you've run MCPR and cleaned everything out.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 24/11/12 1:54:44 EST PM
                • 5. Re: cannot update antivirus
                  cenul2010

[Quote]If you like you could have already saved the setup file from your account to your desktop app where you can then run it after making sure you've run MCPR and cleaned everything out.[/quote] I don't understand this part. What's setup file? MCPR? I don't have mcafee cd installer. It's pre installed and I only buy the license extension.

• 6. Re: cannot update antivirus
                    Ex_Brit

The file that downloads from the account page when you are installing the software.   You don't have to do that but I thought it would be a timesaving idea.

• 7. Re: cannot update antivirus
                      cenul2010

that's the part confuses me. I didn't download or install anything.

The mcafee is in my computer and I only purchase the licensed and it asked me to verify it.  I just check my account. in my  Device Protection tab, there are 2 tabs, PC and Vaio. PC is grey mode, nothing can be done.

In Vaio tab, it has M Shield logo on it and the clickable option is renew, add licensed, deactivate (it,s in active mode) . where can I get the installer then?

• 8. Re: cannot update antivirus
                        Ex_Brit

When you verify it it creates an online account.   If you uninstall it, it will no longer be on your machine, as long as you follow the instructions above.  Then reinstall it from the Australian server using the online account.   I'm trying to get you the latest version that's all. 

• 9. Re: cannot update antivirus
                          cenul2010

One more thing, MCPR, what is that?

1 2 Previous Next