It does indeed sound like your IT department have rolled out EEPC to your machine. They must have autoboot enabled in the policy, otherwise you would have to authenticate at pre-boot. 3rd party defrag programs are unsupported.
Hope that helps,
Just an additional: you'll most likely want to contact your IT department, and get them to perform an emergency boot.
Thanks Timmah. That is what I had suspected. I will ask my local IT to work on it on Monday. From searching about the subject, it sounds like it is an easy fix if they have the key and credentials information that pertain to my PC. I hope they do. Where can they get information on performing the emergency boot in the event that they are not familiar with the process?
Is EEPC ever bundled with other software? Earlier this week I had to install updated software on the PC from Rockwell Automation to be able to work with a new programmable logic controller that was received in a new manufacturing equipment.
What do expect should be the estimated time for IT to repair using an Emergency Boot?
The documentation for the product will be available to your IT department, along with the product downloads, so they should be good to go.
As for bundling with other software, I'm afraid I'm not qualified to say. It seems highly unlikely that an encryption product would be bundled along with the software you describe though!
Emergency booting shouldn't take particularly long, but it will require manual intervention on their part ; namely booting to recovery tools, authenticating, then initiating the emergency boot. Once back in Windows, a policy enforcement will trigger a re-activation of the product, whilst keeping the encryption in place. This typically doesn't take more than a few minutes, unless there are a lot of users to receive from ePO.
Hope this helps!
On Monday I brought the laptop to the local IT and filled out a help desk ticket with the error message and saying that it was an Endpoint Enryption proble. They told me that they were waiting for a daily number from corporate IT.
Tuesday: no number.
Wednesday: no number and I created a new ticket where I mention that it was a Safeboot problem incase they were not familiar with the newer Endpoint Encrytion name.
Thurdsday: finally early Thursday afternoon corporate IT sent the daily number and the xml file, but by now the local IT was tied up battling a Fiber cable problem and couldn't help me. I was able to contact the corporate IT directly this time, now that I knew who he was and he sent me the xml, daily number and EETECH cd image.
I tried the emergency boot and everything seemed normal. I waited a few minutes for the ePO server to rebuild thre boot partition. I checked the McAfee icon in the system tray 'for status and it reported that the drive C was encryted. When I tried a normal reboot without the CD, I still got the "error 92H" message.
Next I tried the Remove EE option. The process took more than 24 hours on a 250 GB disk with about 130 GB in use (on a Core i7-2640M CPU @ 2.80GHz × 4). The next reboot was normal and everthing is back to normal.
I think that better access has to be provided to all levels of IT, especially the local IT who are typically the first responders in order to provide an acceptable level of servivce.
I think you rebooted too soon - you have to wait for an ASIC event I believe, or do "send props".
Yes, it takes a long long time to decrypt with the stand alone version of eetech - the winpe version should have been finished in a couple of hours.