2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 23, 2012 6:42 AM by exbrit

Uninstall ASK toolbar threat?

I don't know how but about a monyh ago an ASK toolbar got installed on my computer. When I go to the control panel and try to uninstall the toolbar I get a threat warning that somebody is trying to access my computer. It seems if I uninstall something else will get installed. How can I safely get rid of the ASK toolbar?

• 1. Re: Uninstall ASK toolbar threat?
          spc3rd

Hello notsure1224 and welcome to the McAfee Community Forums!

Until some of our more knowledgeable forum members and Moderators can arrive to further review your post and offer their input, I will try to assist you as best I can initially.

The ASK Toolbar is frequently an add-on provided with such programs as Java, as well as, a number of other application downloads.  Typically, the box to indicate you want the toolbar installed... is already checked by default, and you have to very closely look for it, in order to uncheck it and avoid inadvertently downloading the toolbar.

While we're waiting on other members and Moderators to share their input, please take a look at the following information on the Java website via this link:

http://java.com/en/download/faq/ask_toolbar.xml

Scroll to the bottom of the page.  There will be a heading stating, "How to uninstall the Ask Toolbar."  It provides links for Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Chrome.  Click on the one appropriate for you, and carefully read/follow the instructions given.  If the instructions indicate you need to reboot your computer to complete the uninstallation process - PLEASE BE SURE TO DO SO!

Please post back and let us know if you were able to resolve your issue.  If you encountered any problems, please post back and describe them in as much detail as possible, including any warning messages received.  This will better enable others here to assist you.

Best Regards,

Message was edited by: spc3rd on 11/23/12 7:09:51 AM EST

Message was edited by: spc3rd on 11/23/12 7:26:15 AM EST
          • 2. Re: Uninstall ASK toolbar threat?
            exbrit

As Pete says, Ask toolbar is not a threat, it's a normal toolbar.   The links he has suggested will remove it for you.

In these economic times everyone is trying to make money any way they can and offering optional extra downloads with products is becoming a very common way of doing it.

It's one way software makers manage to continue offering software free of charge.

Just keep alert when downloading , installing or even updating anything and uncheck those options when the opportunity presents itself..

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 23/11/12 7:42:10 EST AM