Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
1979 Views 22 Replies Latest reply: Dec 13, 2012 8:49 PM by Ex_Brit RSS 1 2 3 Previous Next
mhc Newcomer 11 posts since
Nov 20, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 20, 2012 5:38 AM

Total Failure

On 29th October two PCs did a McAfee update and immediately both had problems.

On one, I could not login to my password protected user account.   On the second, the account was not passsword protected but it was running slow, errors occuring and Windows Firewall being turned off and unable to re-initialise.  Also, McAfee real time protection was turning OFF.

By setting a password on the second PC, I could recreate the problem seen on the first and removal of the password on the first machine resulted in it running in the same way as the second. 

Removal of the full McAfee software returned both PCs to a fully usable state - reinstalling resulted in the problems returning.

I have run full McAfee scans, Stinger, Klez removal, Bugbear removal,   Malwarebytes (not installed with McAfee), MSE   and nothing has been found.

So,  McAfee locks me out of te account,   it stops the Windows Firewall, it turns itself off ...

I have wasted over 40 hours on calls to McAfee support,   calls are not returned when promised and I have to call again.      Support is non-existant and comes up with "remove software, using full removal tool and reinstall" which does not work.   "Create a new account"  but what does that do?   Nothing,  the problem will occur on that account too.

At present I have two important PCs which cannot be used live on-line and have had to borrow one and bring an old one back into use.

The software is NOT fit for purpose.

PCs are both running Win XP - fully patched to SP3 and all latest updates too.

• Ex_Brit Volunteer Moderator 59,530 posts since
    May 6, 2004
    1. Nov 20, 2012 6:13 AM (in response to mhc)
    Re: Total Failure

McAfee relies on Internet Explorer being installed, up to date and set to default settings even if it's not default, so do you have IE8 installed and are all it's add-ons up to date?  Also make sure your drivers, expecially for your Internet Connection are up to date.

MSE is not compatible with other antivirus software.  You could however try Malwarebytes Free from the last link in my signature below, it no longer clashes as long as you don't accept the trial and thereby install the Pro version.

Try running the Virtual Technician to see if it can sort it out.   http://mvt.mcafee.com/

Support are right, a complete uninstall, MCPR cleanup (see link in Useful Links at the top of this page for the latest version of MCPR), reboot and reinstall from the online account (not any CD you may have) usually cures all problems.  

If you tried that as stated and it failed then phone Tech Support and have them escalate the issue.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 20/11/12 7:13:59 EST AM

https://community.mcafee.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-143933-5189/78-49/Peter.gif
    Toronto • Canada
    Volunteer Moderator
    I can't help you privately - please post in the Forums
    Use Advanced Forum Search To Find Answers
    Beta Test McAfee Products For PC & MAC
    How To Fix File Associations in Windows
    XP & Office 2003 End-Of-Life - 08 April, 2014
    Anti-Spyware/Malware & Hijacker Tools
    May 6, 2004
    3. Nov 20, 2012 6:32 AM (in response to mhc)

Hmm, yes your connection shouldn be the problem.  It's difficult to say really when one isn't there, that's where support can shine if they can connect with the machine and troubleshoot it.

Off the top of my head all I can think of now are...any competing software installed, even remotely competing?   Any Daemon tools, or Alcohol 120% installed?   They've been known to clash.

Also when the software is installed is it set to default settings...meaning you don't have the firewall in lock down?    Plus programs that need it should have full permission in Firewall.

Those stock answers from suppoort tell me you were talking with the 1st level who always ask the same questions but there are many levels of support and you can ask for the escalation.

Do you get McAfee from BT or from McAfee direct?   It is just possible that the former isn't delivering the latest version as they often sit on patches for an inordinate time.

https://community.mcafee.com/servlet/JiveServlet/downloadImage/2-143933-5189/78-49/Peter.gif
    Toronto • Canada
    Volunteer Moderator
    May 6, 2004
    4. Nov 20, 2012 6:40 AM (in response to Ex_Brit)

I have to ask, when you ran MCPR was it successful?   (If not I would run it a second time).

Toronto • Canada
    Volunteer Moderator
    May 6, 2004
    5. Nov 20, 2012 6:41 AM (in response to Ex_Brit)

I just noticed...IE9?   Not on XP I assume.   The max XP takes is 8.

Toronto • Canada
    Volunteer Moderator
    May 6, 2004
    8. Nov 20, 2012 6:57 AM (in response to mhc)

I agree cross infection is unlikely in such a setup. Well the call back sounds promising, at least something is happening which will hopefully sort it out.    Other than what I already said I can't think of anything else right now, other than Windows Firewall turning off is normal when you try to install 3rd party firewalls.    If it's refusing to turn on with no 3rd party software installed then I would suspect infection first of all.   If you can, follow the Hijackthis suggestion at the bottom of that last link in my signature, at least asa  precaution, tro see if one of those independent forums can see anything amiss.  

Toronto • Canada
    Volunteer Moderator
1 2 3 Previous Next

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)