Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
648 Views 1 Reply Latest reply: Dec 5, 2012 2:29 PM by cgrim RSS
xmac89 Newcomer 6 posts since
Nov 12, 2012
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 15, 2012 10:46 AM

Help with Scanning VMware ESX 4 and or  VMware ESX 4 (Service Console)

All, I need some assistance with VM 7.0 and scanning for machines identifed as VMware ESX 4 or  VMware ESX 4 (Service Console).

Test 1 Passed - I've run some tests last night on a few hosts and  was able to Authenticate to VMware ESX 4 and get vernerability data.

Test 2  Failed - When I scanned VMware ESX 4 (Service Console) I was also able to authenticate, but no vulnerabilities were found.

Does any have a knowledge base for resolving the issue with scanning VMware ESX 4 (Service Console) ?

I am using a service account and not root. KB54752 states to use root as an option.

Thanks for any help on this one..

Geo

Message was edited by: xmac89 on 11/15/12 10:46:55 AM CST
  • Community Leader 479 posts since
    Nov 3, 2009

Hi Geo,

I'm not familiar enough about any differences between ESX 4 and ESX 4 (Service Console).

Can you turn on Verbose Shell Logging and re-try scanning the system.  This will give much more detail of why it's failing in the daily log file.

1.  Run Regedit

2.  Navigate to:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE]\SOFTWARE\Foundstone\Foundscan\Tweaks] (for 32-bit host) or

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE]\SOFTWARE\Wow6432Node\Foundstone\Foundscan\Tweaks]  (for 64-bit host)

** if the key "Tweaks" doesn't exist, create it. **

3.  Add the following Value:

LogShell DWORD Value 'ff'

4.  Rescan, and look in the ~Foundstone\Logs\LogFile.<date>.txt for any errors associated with the userID you specified in the scan.

If it's not obvious, open a Service Request, and attach the daily log.

I hope that helps!
    Cathy

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points