Skip navigation
McAfee Secure sites help keep you safe from identity theft, credit card fraud, spyware, spam, viruses and online scams
3481 Views 5 Replies Latest reply: Apr 1, 2014 9:01 AM by hbssadmin RSS
kink80 Champion 472 posts since
Apr 6, 2009
Currently Being Moderated

Nov 14, 2012 3:41 PM

HIPS 7.0 to HIPS 8.0 Multiple restarts and no upgrade

I hav ea few machines running Windows XP SP3 and they will n ot upgrade from HIPS 7.0 to HIPS 8.0. I tried to do the installation via ePO and it failed. It did remove HIPS 7.0 but now it will not install HIPS 8.0. The logs state that the upgrade was a success however there are HIPS 8.0 services or programs running on the machines. I also have gotten the McAfee Agent Updater Restart Required Restart the computer to complete the update of Host Intrusion Prevention several times. I restart and I still do not get HIPS 8.0. I have even tried to manually install HIPS 8.0 on these machines to no avail. The installer just quits and says that it failed with a 1603 error in the Windows Application event log. I tried installing HIPS 8.0 with Patch1 and Hips 8.0 with Patch 2 and got the same result. Are there any workarounds for this?

• schmiewliski Newcomer 32 posts since
    Oct 5, 2011

Have you checked the MaxFilters setting in the registry.

I had a similar issue with Windows 7 and installing HIPS 8(allversions) where it would indicate that it was sucessfully installed, asked for a reboot, but upon the reboot HIPS8 was not present.. we too had the generic error 1603..

This resolved out problem

By default, the MaxNumFilters value is  8. You can change it up to 14 using regedit in this location:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Network\MaxNumFilters values.

Note: If you don't see MaxNumFilters name, you can create it. the Type is REG_DWORD as shown below.

Remember if you are going to make any changes to the registry back it up first

Hope it helps you out.

• pierce Champion 402 posts since
    Feb 22, 2011

Had tones of these issues with upgrading from 7 to 8 (which is still going on and a very very very slow process).

For these systems that refused to upgrade I had to use the manual removal instructions for HIPS7 and then install HIPS8.

I the end if the systems had issues we used it as a chance to upgrade the machines from XP to windows7 as that is a less painful approach!

thanks,

Pierce

• hbssadmin Newcomer 28 posts since
    Jul 18, 2012

How was this ever resolved?

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• Correct Answers - 5 points
  • Helpful Answers - 3 points