3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 7, 2012 5:38 PM by Peter M

Excessive memory usage?

Hello all,

So today, I noticed that mcshield.exe (as listed in the task manager) was using roughly 70-80% of my CPU, which is about 1, 350, 000k bytes.
      As I use this system primarily for gaming, this is unacceptable, and If it persists, and I can't get it back down, I will do a complete reinstall of
      Windows, and avoid future McAfee products like the plague.

I have never turned off auto updates, and I have all the features on, minus the superficial ones, ie; Parental lock etc

Thanks in advance.

• 1. Re: Excessive memory usage?
          Peter M

Under certain circumstances some people have reported similar issues.    There isn't much we can advise you to do except contact Technical Support and have them troubleshoot the issue.  It's free by phone or online chat and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

By the way I moved this to SecurityCenter for a better audience.

I wouldn't think that it would be necessary to go to all the trouble of reinstalling Windows, but you could try simply uninstalling McAfee, then running the MCPR cleanup tool also listed under Useful Links, reboot and download/reinstall your software from the online account.

Could be that somehow it's become corrupted.

• 2. Re: Excessive memory usage?

Thanks for the quick reply

Well, I'm at a loss as to what was going on yesterday, as mcshield.exe completely hamstrung my computer, hogging all the CPU (+70%) on 3 out of 4 cores no less.
            I did a restart yesterday, thinking it might have got itself messed up, but no dice, it was still hogging all the memory.

However after turning the computer off for the night, all seems to be normal, mcshield.exe is using 00-03% and only 170, 000k bytes of memory.

Minor inconvenience then, but annoying no less.

Cheers,
                         Stef

• 3. Re: Excessive memory usage?
              Peter M

It has been known for this to happen when the machine is put into hibernation/sleep rather than powering off.  That could possibly be the case here perhaps?

It certainly is very odd but I am glad that things seem to be back to normal again.