1 2 Previous Next 13 Replies Latest reply: Nov 20, 2012 6:40 AM by fschulte RSS

Problems with WebReporter

A C

Hello,

i have a few Questions about Mc Afee WebReporter. We want to use WebReporter to analyze the log Data of our costumers. But there are a few problems with the german data protection.

The first question is:

Is it possible to hide  IP Adresses and User Names at the summary?

webreporter.PNG

Second Question:

Is it possible to delete the standart advanced reports from WebReporter with the yellow lock sign?

332.PNG

Third Question:

Is it possible to delete the Mc Afee Logo if i want to run a report. Because every time i start a report, i have to choose my own icon. But i want that my icon will selected automatically.

asdfasdfsdfsdf.PNG

• 1. Re: Problems with WebReporter
          trishoar

Hi A C,

I cant answer 1. I'm fairly sure that regarding number 2, you can not remove the pre-built reports. For 3 if you remove the McAfee logo webreporter gets upset, so we just replace the logo with our own which makes ours the defualt selected.

Tris

• 2. Re: Problems with WebReporter
            asabban

Hello,

are you importing log files from MWG? If so you can tell MWG to log anonymous data instead of real IP addresses/user names. I am not sure if Web Reporter has an option too.

Best,

Andre

• 3. Re: Problems with WebReporter
              sroering

1) No, you cannot remove the reports from the menu.  If you want to obsfucate the data, then I would recommend Andre's recommendation above.

2) No, sorry.

3) Yes.  You can replace the default logos.

C:\Program Files\McAfee\Web Reporter (64-bit)\reporter\docs\logos

• 4. Re: Problems with WebReporter
                A C

Hello,

thanks for your response.

I only use the log files from MWG for testing. Later i will use squid logfiles. The problem is, i need the complete Ip Adress in WebReporter because i want to allocate it to other Logon Accounts for instace:

skizze.png

The green marked part of the picture works like i want. But the problem is the red part. If i can not  change the summary report  (IP Adress and User Name is hidden from the menu), Logon User 1 has the opporunity to see which User has which Websites opened and this is not allowed with the german data protection.

The same problem i have with the standart advanced reports. If i can not delete them, the Logon User 1 could for example pass the the report "summary - overview of all Actitiy" and the he could see sometink like this:

sdfsdfnt.PNG

Nachricht geändert durch mistert87 on 07.11.12 08:02:41 CST
                • 5. Re: Problems with WebReporter
                  sroering

You can set the ip ranges each logon account can see.

deledgated_account.png

• 6. Re: Problems with WebReporter
                    A C

Hi,

the ip Range i had set for all logon accounts. For example:

Logon User 1 has the IP Range 192.168.1.0 - 192.168.1.120

This works fine. All Logon Users get only the Log Files from the IP Range i set up to them.

The Problem is now, that Logon User 1 could make an report for example like 192.168.1.50 has opend the website www.google.de or 192.168.1.50 has a traffic volume of 10 GByte.

This isn't legal in germany.

So i must delete the standart advanced reports (which is not possible like described above) and must hide teh summary reports for Logon User 1 ? Or is there anonther possibility?

Best regards

A C

Nachricht geändert durch mistert87 on 07.11.12 09:42:11 CST
                    • 7. Re: Problems with WebReporter
                      sroering

If the account is delegated to only specific IP ranges, all of their reports should be limited to that data.  When you delegate the account, it is the same as putting a filter on all of their reports.  If you look at the queries for the reports in .../reporter/log/sql-quickview.log  (sql-advanced.log), you should see something like this.

WHERE scr_dim_ip_address > 'ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:0000:1234:aaaa'  AND scr_dim_ip_address < 'ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:0000:1234:dddd'

If you are seeing different behavior, then it is: 1) not configured correctly, 2) a mis-understanding of  the data, 3) a bug.

If you believe this is a bug and you have a valid support contract, open a support service request and subit a feeedback.

• 8. Re: Problems with WebReporter
                        A C

Hi,

i think you don't unterstand me because of my bad english .

You wrote:

"If the account is delegated to only specific IP ranges, all of their reports should be limited to that data."

This works correct. If User  User1 has the ip Range 192.168.1.50 - 192.168.1.56 in the User1 Account there are only Report Data from .50  to .56.

That works fine.

The only problem i have is, that the User1 is not allowed to see something like that:  192.168.1.50 has the follwoing website opend www.google.de  thats not legal in germany.

User 1 has the ip range 192.168.1.50 - 192.168.1.56 but he isn't allowed to see Username or IPs, even on this IP Range.

Thats the germany data protection policy.

The Problem now is, that McAfee puts standart Reports (reports with yellow lock) to Webreporter. If User1 execute this reports, he is able to see data like described above which is illegal in germany.

What can i do?

Best Regards

• 9. Re: Problems with WebReporter
                          sroering

OK. I understand the problem.  Unfortunately, that kind of control isn't possible in Web Reporter.

If you have a premium license, you can configure reports and then e-mail them automatically for your managers. Maybe that is better than giving them access to the GUI.

1 2 Previous Next